The Addiction

csoult

csoult

The Addiction

I first heard fly fishing being called “the addiction” after I had dabbled in it a few times and someone, not sure I remember who, said “before you know it you going to have the addiction”. I wasn’t sure what that meant at first but I would soon find out.

I have been addicted to many things in my life. Cigarettes were my first addiction, it began at eleven. Whether I want to admit it or not, I started, like many, thinking that it looked cool and tough. The first time I smoked, I smoked half a pack of cigarettes and then proceeded to puke my guts out. I tried it again later, and pushed myself through the sick moments, and before I knew it I was hooked. I continued to do that nonsense for eleven years until I couldn’t stand it anymore and it made me sick for different reasons. I then replaced that dependence for others such as snuff, marijuana, exercise, coffee and other things. If you think you can’t get addicted to marijuana, do it every day for seven years then try to stop. It’s addictive maybe not physically, but it is addictive none the less. The bad addictions I have kicked, well I haven’t quit drinking coffee but it has not been proven to be bad for you, just in excess. All of these addictions are something that I have had to do every day to become dependent, the one that was to come did not.

This brings me to fly fishing. Like cigarettes, I tried it first because some of my friends were doing it. I did it, not to look cool as I think I have grown past that, but because I thought there were some aspects to it that fit my personality well. And like cigarettes, I really didn’t like at first. I wasn’t catching fish; I was spending more time taking knots out of my line and getting my fly out of the tree. When I did get a fish to take my fly I would set to quickly and miss or I would try to horse in the fish and snap off my fly. Needless to say I became very frustrated. So I stopped fly fishing, only picking up my rod once a year for an annual trip with my friends that was more about drinking and hanging out than fishing. Every year I would catch a fish or to and that was the extent of it. A few years ago I went on one of these trips and I don’t know if the conditions were just right or what but I caught a lot of fish. Well that was all it took, and that is where it began.

After that trip I decided that I was going to give this sport a real shot. I began reading, first about how to cast and mend, then about tying knots, reading water and so on. I realized that the reason that I wasn’t catching fish before is that I had no idea what I was doing. This really fueled my addiction because at that point I wanted to apply some of the things that I had read to the real world. Even though some of these things didn’t work for me, some of them did! I started catching fish my confidence grew. I then began to think about it all the time and any spare moment I had was spent on the water. This was the first time that I was addicted to something that I didn’t have to do every day.

I have now come to realize that this is something that I will be doing for the rest of my life. I will do this the rest of my life and never know all there is to know about this sport because there are just too many divisions within the sport. I may have yet to find the fishing that I like to do most. I think this is what intrigues me and why it has become my most complete addiction……because there is no end. I now fully know what “the addiction” means.

Sure beats smoking doesn't it ! I'm addicted as well. I think about FF every day.

Haven't had a cigarette or an overly memorable fishing trip in 3 years.

Animal behaviorists have a simpler, scientific explanation. You've heard of rewarding a dog each time he or she performs a particular trick. The reward is called "reinforcement" and the reward immediately reinforces the desired behavior each time that it occurs. There is another related type of reward, however, that often gets equally good results. It is a reward that is given only sometimes after the desired behavior occurs and the frequency of the reward is randomized. For humans, the common example is a slot machine, which rewards you just enough on a variable schedule to keep you coming back. Likewise, there is fishing.

I think it is a obsession, a notch above addiction. I get mad when I can't fish because of work. The problem with this is it's so expensive.

Nice anecdote about your initial fly fishing and then how it became something you really enjoy. I first cast a fly rod when I was about twelve years old. But I continued to spin and bait fish for about another six years. Then I put all the other gear away and only fly fished. That was fifty years ago and I still love it as much now after thousands of trout as I did when that first brookie ate a white marabou!

damn i miss smoking.

Go to sleep

tomgamber wrote:
Haven't had a cigarette or an overly memorable fishing trip in 3 years.

Yup. No decent fishin' without smokin'. Sorry TG. :-(

I caught my first fish on a fly MANY years ago and have been hooked ever since. My wife told me a long time ago that she would work and that I should retire and just fish and keep house and cook, I took her up on it right away.

It has been a addiction for me ever since. In my younger days I could never get enough. The last few years I have slowed up a lot, bad health and not being able to wade the way I'd like too, so I don't get out as much as I use too. but I never lost the love to flyfish.

Yes, Coty it is a addiction!

PaulG

I'm kind of like Paul G., though I'm still fortunate enough to be healthy enough to be able to fish almost all of the places I've always fished (that haven't gotten posted). I think the old Pat McManus title says it best; it is "A Fine and Pleasant Misery."

My story is a lot like yours, Coty. I've never been addicted to smoking or booze, or pot. Substance was never my drug, food defintiely is. I've been fly fishing exclusively since I was 15 (about 16 years now), but I've never made it my SERIOUS hoby. I always had music in the front and center of my life. On top of it, those first few years of fly fishing were down right frustrating. It wasn't until I caught a sulphur hatch on the Kettle one evening that I became officially hooked.

A lot changed for me this year though. I've become down right obsessed w/ this art. It could ALMOST replace music for me. Sometimes I find myself thinking, "do I really have to go to band practice? I'd rather go fishing." Dangerous thinking for me! I also find myself wanting to trump my addiction to food because of the sport. My weight affects my stamina when hiking into brookie streams, it affects how my waders fit, it affects my ability to be sneaky. I feel I'd be a better fly fisherman if I were thinner. On top of it, I'd be healthier overall, and the risk of me keeling over on the stream from a heart attack, leaving a widow and two kids behind, would greatly reduce.

Also, as a theology student, I often times find that my fly fishing trips are a great time to ponder spiritual matters. My life is surrounded by two jobs, college, a wife, a kid and one on the way, a great dane, a rock and roll band, its hard to find moments of silence.

That's how I justify it to my wife anyway ;)

I've fished as long as I can remember and know I fished prior to that, as soon as I was old enough to hold a rod. Back in those days spinning tackle did not exist (or, at least, any my dad could afford). He was mystified by bait casters (don't blame him; I think that's a true black art) and had always fished with a fly rod whether or not he was fishing flies, bait, spinners, or a red and white Daredevil in Black Moshannon Dam for pickerel and the very occasional large mouth. So, I've had a fly rod in my hands for the majority of my 62 years. Dad always preferred to fish flies and tied his own. He inevitably caught more fish than I did whether on bait or flies and ALWAYS caught more on flies than I did on bait. So, it was reasonably natural that I went from bait fisherman to fly fisherman and met success early on. (There is, after all, not a whole lot of difference between a drag free drift of a red worm on a fly rod and and the same thing with a size 18 bead head pheasant tail nymph.) My dad taught me to tie flies as soon as I learned to fly fish and I can truthfully say that I've never, ever bought a trout fly. I've either used the ones my dad tied or tied my own. (I have, however, bought some salmon flies years ago on a trip to Nova Scotia for Atlantics.)

I don't see fly fishing as an addiction. At least for me, it's a way of life, as much a spiritual undertaking as a physical, technical, and tactical exercise of outwitting salmonids.

I've fished as long as I can remember and know I fished prior to that.

I was a sperm who swam before I fished, it's in my Blood !!

Amen, Sandfly!

nice post.

I hear ya dude. people say i have an addictive personality...(whatever that means?)

anyhow, what they say is that anything i get into, I REALLY get into. Now thats not to say I know much about FF. I have become hooked on many things, I'm not gonna go into them but I'll just leave it at KB. moving on, I have found nothing more rewarding (Freud) than FF. even a bad day on the water is leagues beyond anything else. nothing in this world can refresh the weary wretch like fly fishing.

sometimes when I am on the stream I laugh at myself. I say to myself: "and you thought you came out here to catch a fish". I think that is one of the many interesting aspects about FF. To me, it's not about how many or how big or anything other than just being there. I think a lot of people feel that way.

I can quit flyfishing any time I want. Really I can! :lol:

I was thinking of this post today for some reason. Reflecting back, I thought that maybe, my urge to fish, like any other hobby would slow down. I knew that I would do this as long as I could, but thought my enthusiasm would wane. It has not. To be honest, it has only grown.

Yup. Me too. I think about it all the time (idolatry! haha!)

This was before I started losing weight. Man, I'm glad that piece of the pie fell into place. Its good for me to go back to the days prior to my weight loss and see my mindset, be reminded how terrible I felt and how much my fatness held me back.

Back