Survivor

Alnitak

Alnitak

On Saturday, March 15 my nephew and I explored northern Lancaster County/southern Lebanon County and fished a nice stream or two with some wild brown trout populations. There were some midges hatching, as well as some stoneflies and an occasional BWO, but only a few trout were hitting the top, so we nymphed the day away (as I like to say, "Nymphin' Ain't Easy").

I caught this nice little wild brown, about 8-9" and noticed the mark. Looks like a kingfisher or small heron tried to make a meal and failed. Hopefully he survives a few more years to grow into a big toad for me to catch again. :D

Jeff

Attachments

• PAFF-02659.jpg
    PAFF-02659.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PAFF-02660.jpg
    PAFF-02660.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
  • PAFF-02661.jpg
    PAFF-02661.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2
Those are interesting pics. That brookie is a survivor. Thanks for posting.

Not sure if the Brookie is a survivor or not, but that brownie sure is. :lol:

Well, you've probably sealed that poor little trout's fate now that you've taken pictures of him out of the water...way to go.

Surviving by disguising himself as a brown trout?;-)

The lines on the fish look more like it had been stuck in a net or something. Tangled in line maybe.

Letort wrote:
Not sure if the Brookie is a survivor or not, but that brownie sure is. :lol:
Too funny. I've got a buddy who has thousands in fly rods/equipment and doesn't know the difference between a brookie and a brown. :)

FarmerDave wrote:

The lines on the fish look more like it had been stuck in a net or something. Tangled in line maybe.

That was my first thought as well, but then I saw it on both sides and realized there was no way a line could have made that pattern--but a beak does. A friend of mine is a fisheries biologist and he confirmed that this is a pretty classic beak scar from a fish that was grabbed but managed to wriggle loose. He figured something like a Little Green Heron, which is probably right.

Jeff

tomitrout wrote:
Well, you've probably sealed that poor little trout's fate now that you've taken pictures of him out of the water...way to go.

I know, he's DOOMED now to a slow death!

Actually he swam away very fast. With two of us fishing I can get him in the net, photographed and back in the water in a matter of seconds.

Jeff

Alnitak wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

That was my first thought as well, but then I saw it on both sides and realized there was no way a line could have made that pattern--but a beak does. A friend of mine is a fisheries biologist and he confirmed that this is a pretty classic beak scar from a fish that was grabbed but managed to wriggle loose. He figured something like a Little Green Heron, which is probably right.

Jeff

Hadn't thought of green heron. Although I do have them around regularly, I never watched one feed. It likely makes more sense and looks like the right shape.

I was thinking Blue heron, and they stab the fish, and when the fish get away, the scar is often significantly more substantial and not on both sides.

I used to routinely catch a largemouth bass from my pond that had a blue heron scar. Was a big cut down the one side that scarred over.

FarmerDave wrote:

Hadn't thought of green heron. Although I do have them around regularly, I never watched one feed. It likely makes more sense and looks like the right shape.

I was thinking Blue heron, and they stab the fish, and when the fish get away, the scar is often significantly more substantial and not on both sides.

I used to routinely catch a largemouth bass from my pond that had a blue heron scar. Was a big cut down the one side that scarred over.

The other option my friend suggested was a kingfisher when the trout was smaller. That's possible, too, as the injury appeared to have mostly healed up. Either way, it was kind of cool to see this little guy/gal survive.

Jeff

Looks like a pelican scar to me. ymmv.

Seriously, three weeks ago, he did a death roll.

Back