Stocked pond trout

Railking

Railking

Tomorrow is the first fly fishing outing for my chapter of Project Healing Waters. A local American Legion is catering us lunch and a local hatchery donated about 200 fish in a Sportsmans club pond. Not ideal trout fishing, but the more fish these vets catch, the more interested they get in the sport. Any fly suggestions for stocked fish in still water? I have about 100 buggers in every color I could get. Also have some other assorted streamers to strip in and see what we can get. Never really fly fished a pond for trout before. If all else fails, there are some spinning rods if it comes down to it. Any other fly suggestions?

Other than streamers, I suggest some generic nymphs, different colored egg patterns(glo bugs, sucker spawn, etc.), maybe some "pellet flies", and some attractor dries.

I think your pretty much set with different colored buggers and other streamers though.

Buggers really work well for me in a stocked pond. Dry flies might be worthwhile as well. There is this super awesome sauce fly that would probably be KILLER on a STOCKIE, but the name alludes me.

If there are trout rising use dry flies................HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Dont forget your terresterials too - hoppers, crickets, and ants.

The outing went well. Trout were rising sporadically but not to any dries we tried skimming across the water. White wooly buggers were the ticket for the stockies. The guys had a blast and that's all we really wanted. The fish were just icing on the cake.

Railking wrote:
The outing went well. Trout were rising sporadically but not to any dries we tried skimming across the water. White wooly buggers were the ticket for the stockies. The guys had a blast and that's all we really wanted. The fish were just icing on the cake.

That's awesome - great work for a great cause.

Back