steelhead withdrawl

Leteras

Leteras

Is anyone else going through steelhead withdrawl right about now?

Not me. I live within 50 miles of three major zoos that I can visit any time if I so desire.

That takes most of the edge off for me....:)

The folks that run the low to mid-range motels in the greater Erie area might be having some withdrawal issues though. At least until the Presque Isle season gets into full swing.

Erie does become a zoo when steelhead season is in full swing. I found fishing the Grand River in Ohio for the steelhead to be much better. Guys don't crowd you there plus it is great water. The river runs 98 miles. Plenty of room to fish.

Another no. Steelhead are good for having some fun in the off-season for me, but that's about it. They'll always be big dumb rainbows in my eyes. I would like to chase the wild ones out west some day. That would probably change my opinion.

I will probably get excited for the salmon run around mid summer though, and will steelhead fish hard for about two months after it.

Idk, don't really have much interest in chasing steelhead in small tribs with crowds all around me.. hiking into the woods and catching five inch brook trout with noone around me is more exciting

Well fishing out west is the dream but for now I'll have to make due with what is available here.

I love the big browns and Atlantics that are now making a presence in the NY tribs.

I plan on hitting them the first weekend in November this fall. My buddy sets up a trip with guys that all know each other and we lock up an entire section of river so no one else can get in and crowd us out. There were 20 guys fishing it last year.

That's a good time to get them. I personally don't understand the steelie guys who talk smack on the browns. They aren't the pretty silver acrobats, but they pull like a mule. By far my favorite fish on the fly.

You should get in on that trip its a blast.

Remind me when the leaves start changing. I'd most likely be into it. Right now it's kinda makin me jones tho. I got into a nice pod of Atlantics last year that I will never forget. I have the measurements on a 17 lber that I am still debating on getting a replica mount.

Thats great. I'll keep it in mind when fall comes around.

Look at a map of NY, pick any GL trib, if there is enough water in it, there will be lake run fish in it. Plenty of NY streams support nat'l repro of steelhead and browns. A few support nat'l repro of Pacific Salmon. At least one supports nat'l repro of Lake Trout. I've caught plenty of wild steelhead, and way more stocked ones. The only difference is a fin clip, they all fight hard. There is a river in NY that rivals any in the lower 48 other for kings, cohos, browns, and steelhead - it isnt the Salmon River. The world record Coho was caught in NY waters in LO. There is way more to steelhead and salmon fishing in NY than the Salmon River. There are plenty of places to fish away from crowds and guides also. Browns over Steelhead??? Act like you've been there before. Seriously though, if browns are what you like, pick a LO trib west of Syracuse, time your trip 2 weeks after the first major run of kings in that stream and you will have a stream full of kings and browns and only a few annoying cohos and steelhead.

Lol. I do fish WNY regularly. Last time I was at the Salmon was 10 years ago. I'm just a brown trout guy. Especially the chance at a 20 pounder. Nothing wrong with steelies tho. They're bigger in NY too.

Fingerlakes have some nice Brown trout runs also, along with landlocks, lakers, and bows.

I had a bad steelhead year so I'm in the "I'm ticked off at steelhead" mindset right now. Hopefully this fall run will be better and get me back in the game. I don't think about them until the weather starts to cool off after summer.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

I am at the point where I enjoy seeing my friends hook into their first steelhead and the look on their faces like "What do I do now?"

Dont get wrong I feel that way after I land a few- hee hee.

Couple trips and I am good for the year. Being a 2 hour ride for me, it's not a big deal to get there.

This is the chance to hook into there biggest fish on a fly rod outside of the salt, well at least for most of my buddies.

An 8 hour ride to the Salmon River or MI is not realistic at this point for most of my buddies.

Leteras wrote:
Erie does become a zoo when steelhead season is in full swing. I found fishing the Grand River in Ohio for the steelhead to be much better. Guys don't crowd you there plus it is great water. The river runs 98 miles. Plenty of room to fish.

All true. They do crowd in the most popular areas, but not nearly as much, and you can ALWAYS find open water and usually without walking very far. But doesn't that 98 miles include waters above Harpersfield? I don't think many make it above that dam. Too bad. It does have a fish ladder, but every time I've seen it, it is plugged with debris.

A few more miles have been opened up on the Chagrin. Gates Mills dam is gone. Most of that is private land, but I think there is some public as well.

Yep, I'm spot burning.

Attachments

• bridge.JPG
    bridge.JPG
    919.1 KB · Views: 2
Or you can go to Montana and take advantage of the spring run rainbows coming out of the lakes on the Missouri-they only run 5 or 6 pounds but doubles are common.
That was just starting when I left.New strain of bows-
Camped out for 4 days,never saw another person.
[spot burning].

Mark me down for the browns too. Done the steelhead. Now would like to catch a 10lb+ brown on the same cane rod.

Hesitant to try kings on it though. might need something a little heavier;-)

Back