Spring Creek or BFC

W

wsender

Was going to go fishing tomorrow to either Spring Creek in State Collegeish or BFC in Lock Havenish. Which one would you fish tomorrow?

Fly patterns.... tiny nymphs? Scuds in olive, orange, and tan, small bhpt, a couple of zebra style midges too. Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have any free time tomorrow and want to fish?

Pretty hard to go wrong with spring creek. With the recent bit of milder weather. you may even find some risers to play with

pink worms

I prefer Spring Creek in the winter. I think the water is a bit warmer and it's a little easier to access.

I'd vote for Spring Creek too, esp if you're hankering to catch some trout. Fishing Creek would be my vote if you're looking more for a rugged and scenic experience. Just speaking for myself, I've usually had a tough time time catching fish on Fishing Creek. It's a moody stream. Spring Creek's temperment is more predictable.
Good luck with your trip. Let us know how you made out.

was on Spring creek tuesday afternoon for about 3.5 hrs downstream of bellefonte- did very well for a late december day on scuds, BHPT and douple bugs.
No many rising fish (midges), but nymphs did the trick.
The Little J is also a good choice in the winter if you fish upstream of Spruce creek

PS. I was all by myself, not another angler in sight

joereese
What size were the BHPTs?

sz16 on standard wet hooks (3906)

I would fish BFC, but I'd expect to catch about 20% as many fish. Spring creek is easy, but not as fun as BFC imo.

for me, it's that Spring creek is closer and if it's a bad day, I get cold or fall in I can be home quickly
Otherwise, I'd fish the Little J- the best stream in the area

http://www.littlejuniata.org/

When asked which of the big four I'd fish over the next few days, the answer is penns creek... hands down.

Either one would be a good choice. I usually catch more trout on Spring Creek but enjoy fishing both. Flyfishing BFC can be a humbling experience at times. Always fun though. Good Luck.

Wsender,
I'd fish Spring. If you are relatively new to FFing, BFC can be tough. Heck it can be tough even if you have been doing this stuff for 30 years IMO.

However, BFC is a very pretty stream. I've never seen it in winter, but I can only imagine its fabulously scenic with snow. Be careful if you go, its not easy wading, and always seems kind of cold up there, even in mild temps.

And keep an eye out for Redds!

Spring is the best bet to catch fish, while BFC is the best bet for scenery and solitude. I like Spring, but there is something about BFC that always draws me back. BFC is for me. Although, I'll prob be on the Little J, because it is only 15 minutes away from me.

If you go to Spring do as alpa said and bing some Pink Wormies.

What a crappy perdicament you are in......

My first reaction was to say Spring because if you are not from PA or Central PA (which you are not) you have to fish Spring.

But...

I love Fishing Creek in the Winter and you have a chance to catch a big-un over the Winter (because you have no shot any other time of the year).

MKern wrote:
What a crappy perdicament you are in......

My first reaction was to say Spring because if you are not from PA or Central PA (which you are not) you have to fish Spring.

But...

I love Fishing Creek in the Winter and you have a chance to catch a big-un over the Winter (because you have no shot any other time of the year).

I love Big Fishing Creek, its' a very pretty stream but it is humbling. I thought I was a decent fly angler but kept striking out on BFC. I thought it was me until I talked to and read about other anglers accounts (most of whom were better than I) of how tough it can be. Then one day after a June TIC training session about 2 yrs ago, most guys headed for Spring but I drove to BFC. I had become determined to start catching trout there, plus it's just a beautiful stream to fish. Well the trout gods finally smiled upon me here, big golden stoneflies were coming back to th water to lay their eggs and the fish up and rising eagerly. For the next 3 hours I aggressively worked #8 & #10 yellow stimulators. I didn't land a fish smaller than 16 inches with numerous trout going 18+. It was some of the greatest fishing I'd ever experienced. The harder I let the fly smack the water the more vicious the strike. At one point I actually dropped to my knees and raised my arms to the heavens and said "thank you." However, most times now on BFC, I feel privileged to land 3 or 4 trout. The rewards on BFC aren't with #s of fish but in their beauty and the beauty of the surroundings in which they are caught. Last time I was there I only caught a couple but I did get to watch a mink scramble along the far bank, several deer cross the stream, and even an eagle perched overhead. All without seeing another angler on the stretch I fished.

I hit it just the same as ryan during a springtime hatch that generates much more traffic on the other major streams in the area, but not so much for BFC.

Got there about an hour before it was supposed to happen, and the first 7-8 bugs I saw did not make it past a group of trout under a log. I thought they were small fish, but ended up catching every one of them. They ran from 12-17 inches or so. Not bad! Since then, I've hit the same hatch with similar results, and have also hit a few unplanned events there. It sure ain't easy though.

jayL wrote:
When asked which of the big four I'd fish over the next few days, the answer is penns creek... hands down.

Why Penns?

Because it is at a good flow, and because I like it more than the others... BFC is a close second.

Back