Sommerset Show Review

SBecker

SBecker

I was kinda disappointed with the show. First, no Collins Hackle. This was a huge let down for me. I did find a vendor selling his product for quadruple Collins's prices. Also, was kinda upset with the deals. I did not really find anything for such a price that I just could not let it pass. My cousin did get a nice Fishpond chest pack for a good price, but I did not need one. Some of the vendors ( Trout Hunter, DRC) were not selling their products, which seemed odd and I looked forward to purchasing tippet and dubbing from both.

The good.... It was nice seeing old friends and down to earth friendly tiers and vendors. Being able to get there right when the show opened allowed me to talk to Dwight Landis and George Daniel together for a good 15 minutes and not get that feeling that you know they have better things to do or you are bothering them. Lol The thing I really like about George is his friendly attitude and not believing in the product hype. When I asked him the question about favorite euro rods, I expected the Sage or High end rod hype. Instead he said it did not matter, and that some of the best rods are $200 dollar rods. Nice to hear honest opinions and not product pushing.

It was nice seeing and meeting the Allen Fishing guys and seeing their products up close and personal. I have always been kinda hesitant on their products, but being able to hold it in my hands has reinforced what many people have said, that they are a well made product.

The two presentations I saw were good. DRC on the upper Delaware and Daniel's presentation.

Hanging with Fredrick, and Dub and talking to Dkyle is always fun.

Seeing the guy that does all the Simms and Abel fish paintings and designs paint in person was amazing. I wish I had the money to afford his paintings.

To all the guys going to the Lancaster show, from talking to some of the vendors and tiers, don't expect much.

Sure I forgot somthing I liked or disliked and hopefully some of you other guys will jog my memory.

Nice. George is a really great guy. Always a pleasure running into him at the shop or on the stream. Derek DeYoung seems like a chill dude. There was a great article on him in the Drake. Bummer on the deals though.

SB,
I have to agree with you. Both TDB and I went up today and overall we were pretty disappointed as well. My biggest disappointment was also that Charlie Collins wasn't there. I know Charlie pretty well and used to work a both next to his for years. After talking with my buddy I found out that Charlie couldn't make it due to health concerns and he had to pull out of both the Marlborough and Somerset show. As for the show itself I agree there is few it any deals to ever be found. I even found a number of vendors who had put new prices over other price tags. Like a pack of marabou that was normally $3.50 was marked $5.25 etc. Also I usually like to take in a few destination seminars but it seemed like this year there wasn't many that really interested me. I talked to our Simms Rep for about 10 minutes to catch up then we walked up and down the aisles and left after about an hour and a half. I think the show is still good for people who want to see products, maybe try a rod or look for a specialty tying item, however for the seasoned angler who generally knows what they like or need it didn't hold alot for them.

I guess my only other complaint was talking to the guy from Stealthcraft boats, I like his boat and commented on how nice the fit and finish was. He asked me if I had a boat and I said I had a hyde and just bought a new Clack, he then began to rip into Clack and tell me how I got ripped off and that clacks are OK for mass produced boats. He went on and on about how they only make 30 boats a year versus Clacks 300. I guess the reason he only makes 30 boats a year is because he can only sell 25 boats a year!. All I know is when I fish allover the country most places I see Clacks ir Hydes like 10:1.

Hardfast rule in sales is never disparage the competition. It lessens your credibility and also says to the customer, 'Boy, are you a knucklehead for buying that'. Amazes me how many sales people don't get that.

Guess it was my lucky day. I got a great deal on a rod I really liked - probably would have bought it at list price I liked it so much. Shoulda bought two at that price!

Talked with the guys at Regal about my ancient Medallion vise with the chipped jaws. It's kind of a family heirloom, and I'm not the original owner - so no warranty. The Regal guys insisted I send it to them anyways, and they'll restore it to original condition. Pretty cool.

I too was disappointed in not seeing Charlie Collins, and was bummed about Trouthunter not having merchandise there, but they did send me to a dealer that had everything I was looking for.

Didn't spend any time at seminars or programs, but I managed to find everything but one item from a lengthy shopping list. Ran into my "buddy" that works for the hotel, and even got a deal on my lunch!

When you're looking for a deal, they're sometimes tough to find. When you're not looking is when they'll find you. ;-)

I had a pretty good time there today. Got everything I was looking for, and a few things I didn't know I needed. I also missed Collins, but wound up buying some Whiting capes at a somewhat reasonable price. Got to take an up-close look at a fishing kayak that I want to buy even more now that I saw it in person, and even did some vacation planing. Turns out you can get commuter flights from Newark to Thunder Bay dirt cheap.
For me, the biggest disappointment was the size of the crowd. It took forever to get from one booth to another. I'm sure this drove up some of the prices (supply and demand after all). I'll be tying at Lancaster and I'm looking forward to it being a smaller show.

HA. again I'm asking for your advice/ help and do appreciate it.
I also have an old Regal Vice ( don't think it is a Medallion) with chipped jaws and I'm not the original owner. will you please share the contact info and price to get new jaws.

Thank You,
Buffalo

Talked with the guys at Regal about my ancient Medallion vise with the chipped jaws. It's kind of a family heirloom, and I'm not the original owner - so no warranty. The Regal guys insisted I send it to them anyways, and they'll restore it to original condition. Pretty cool.'

I had a great time and thought it was a a well done show. Seemed that there were more and several new vendors this year. Both Friday and Saturday were much busier over last year.

I saw a lot of friends that I only see at the show once a year. Glad to catch up with SBecker. Sorry missed Dwight and a few others.

Working on a post and video for tomorrow. A lot of fun.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 7
SBecker wrote:
To all the guys going to the Lancaster show, from talking to some of the vendors and tiers, don't expect much.

My guess is that the show's producer knows not every show is a "Somerset". I'm kind of curious to see the Lancaster show and how much a of a "trout" angle it has to it. Just based on the show's location, it has a lot of of potential to be a quality regional event. I don't know if this region could really support two shows the size of Somerset so close together.

My expectations are not to see a show the size of Somerset in Lancaster, but perhaps find something smaller and more intimate.

SBecker wrote:

The good.... It was nice seeing old friends and down to earth friendly tiers and vendors. Being able to get there right when the show opened allowed me to talk to Dwight Landis and George Daniel together for a good 15 minutes and not get that feeling that you know they have better things to do or you are bothering them. Lol

It must have been somebody else. I wasn't at the show! My books were there, but not me.
Dwight

Wow why the heck did I type your name LMAO it was Paul Weamer. Eyeyayeye shouldn't have stopped at the bar when we headed home lol

Perhaps it's time to step away from fly fishing for a while... The names of notable fishing folk you haven't even seen are running through your head. Clearly the obsession is beyond control! :-o

I tend to agree with your assessment and feel you should enter the medical field.

I liked the show... Tiers, shops, gear cos... Chance to meet the guys from Mystic, whose 2 wt is my favorite from a few dozen fly rods I have owned...

Overall, the show Friday was quite good. More seminars it seems. I loved the one on Tenkara even though Misa couldn't make it due to very sick Mark.

Saw some favorite vendors, excepting Collins of course. Hope his health improved. Wonder if he has avian flu?

Saw a surprising number of silk lines, among odds 'n ends. It's always good to see friends, and there were a number of cyberbuddies that I can now put a face to.

hp
les

I was disappointed as well. It was my first show and expected to find some decent deals but all I found was brass and tungsten beads for a pretty good deal. Overall there was a lot of selection but nothing that really stuck out.

troutbert wrote:
SBecker wrote:

The good.... It was nice seeing old friends and down to earth friendly tiers and vendors. Being able to get there right when the show opened allowed me to talk to Dwight Landis and George Daniel together for a good 15 minutes and not get that feeling that you know they have better things to do or you are bothering them. Lol

It must have been somebody else. I wasn't at the show! My books were there, but not me.
Dwight

LMAO make sure that one is your blog Becker

I missed sage :cry: I casted the bvk once and they kicked me off the pond lol . Out of all the celebrity casters they had there Steve Rajeff was only on the pond once and on Sun WTF he puts all the rest to shame and some of them were casting twice a day

I had a good time, I wanted a new pair of waders and some new boots.

Good a good deal on a pair of Sims and picked up a pair of Korkers. Talked to some good folk and bout some fly's at a buck a piece.

Funny

Every vendor and tier said it was one of the best shows in recent memory
Both in traffic and sales

Multiple people saying that Friday alone met goals of the weekend

I wasn't too impressed with the deals at all but I enjoyed watching bugs getting twisted up.

Back