Self-sustaining WT streams bucket list

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
So not to move the LJ thread further off on a tangent, I started this thread. The LJ thread evolved into a discussion of streams and rivers that became C&R (or some other SR restricting harvest) and/or stocking was ceased, resulting in a great wild trout fishery.

Name the PA streams you believe can become a self-sustaining wild trout fishery with a regulation change and/or the cessation of stocking.

I'll start out: Fishing Creek. Which one?...both! (Clinton and Columbia Counties)

fishing creek in clinton co. is already a self-sustaining wild trout fishery, at least in the narrows. i presume you mean further downstream?

midnightangler wrote:
fishing creek in clinton co. is already a self-sustaining wild trout fishery, at least in the narrows. i presume you mean further downstream?

Yup.

If we just stopped stocking all together the streams that can support wild trout would and the streams that cant wont! So lets not pick and choose lets just stop stocking!

You do realize that all creeling anglers would then be forced to fish wild trout streams?

Ok, i'll add one. East Branch of the Clarion River. Its a cold tailwater. The Clarion has had an ugly history, but I have no doubt wild trout could survive there.

I think if there was an announcement that the state was going to stop stocking 98 percent of people would just assume that there aren't any fish and give up fishing. People in Lehighton believe that trout only come from the truck! They would also rather just net the fish right out of the truck instead of actually having to fish for them. You know it would save them a bunch of money on powerbait, minnows, and fishing poles!

Alpabuck wrote:
I think if there was an announcement that the state was going to stop stocking 98 percent of people would just assume that there aren't any fish and give up fishing. People in Lehighton believe that trout only come from the truck! They would also rather just net the fish right out of the truck instead of actually having to fish for them. You know it would save them a bunch of money on powerbait, minnows, and fishing poles!

How would 98% of the angling public giving up the sport be a good thing? Remember, license dollars go to much more than just stocking fish. I can't imagine that thinning the number of anglers could ever be a good thing.

Many anglers get many hours of recreation from the stocking program. It is a worthwhile effort of the government to serve this recreational interest, whether it impacts slightly the recreational options of anglers who do not appreciate stocked trout. So long as an effort is made to not have a large negative impact on viable wild trout populations, some lesser impact in order to bring recreational enjoyment to a larger segment of the citizenry and tourists can be worth the "cost."

I do feel that identifying waters where the negative consequences of stocking is heavy and unjustifiable would serve a useful purpose, but not every water any particular wild trout enthusiast enjoys can be preserved against the enhanced recreational potential that comes from stocking.

Anyhow, that's my view, warped or not.

This is a Bucket list thread?????

I'd understand that cutting that many people out of the equation wouldnt work. But Imagine all the extra room you'd have.....you could wear those pink waders of yours and nobody would be around to make fun of you!

Alpa--- You do realize that as much as I have garnered a love for Fly fishing the world does not evolve around it? there are other fishermen out there and just because they may not share the same mind set as you does not mean they are horrible and should never fish again. Fishermen that harvest trout have a right to do so. I have nothing against people that take a couple trout to eat, if they are going to eat them and not let them rot in their freezer. Hell I myself kept 1 trout last year, for my grandfather who can not get out fishing anymore. Yes there are people that just completely keep everything they catch, and end up not eating them, but that does not give you or anybody else the right to say no more stocking. What is up with you always busting on Carbon County? I am not from there but I do reside there and I think your getting a little to snobbish for your own good.

Id like to see the Little Lehigh stopped being stocked. Its def. proven itself to be self sustainable. I also realize this will never happen, becuase its so accessible, and many bait fisherman enojy this stream, as they should be able to. I am just curious what it could be if it wasnt stocked.

Let's face it, the FBC is charged with collecting and spending our license dollars for fishing. Since many anglers are in favor of stocking trout for C&K, myself included on streams that cannot sustain a wild population. Forget all that for a moment. Which streams, in your opinion, are suitable for sustaining a fishable wild trout population but are currently stocked and/or under harvest regulations that suppress the numbers of wild trout? Think "could" be" not necessary "should be"....

Tom,

We've talked about the stream that I have in mind, and about the politics at play to keep it stocked, and also about its great wild trout population in areas.

So mark me down for "that one". :)

LRSABecker wrote:
Alpa--- You do realize that as much as I have garnered a love for Fly fishing the world does not evolve around it? there are other fishermen out there and just because they may not share the same mind set as you does not mean they are horrible and should never fish again. Fishermen that harvest trout have a right to do so. I have nothing against people that take a couple trout to eat, if they are going to eat them and not let them rot in their freezer. Hell I myself kept 1 trout last year, for my grandfather who can not get out fishing anymore. Yes there are people that just completely keep everything they catch, and end up not eating them, but that does not give you or anybody else the right to say no more stocking. What is up with you always busting on Carbon County? I am not from there but I do reside there and I think your getting a little to snobbish for your own good.

LRSA I respect your opinion and you can feel however you want about what ever you want I could less. It seems as if you dont like me? Well take a number because your not the first and wont be the last. BTW I was born in Carbon County and I live about a min from the Carbon/Northampton line. I love Carbon County it's just filled with idiots. Going to Walmart or Jim Thorpe on a warm sunny day is better entertainment then TV, for much different reasons though! Jim Thorpe is turning into San Fransisco if you know what mean. Weird!!!!!

Oh well have fun with your Stockies! From what I hear they make wonderful fertilizer......at least there good for something!

surveyor06 wrote:
Id like to see the Little Lehigh stopped being stocked. Its def. proven itself to be self sustainable. I also realize this will never happen, becuase its so accessible, and many bait fisherman enojy this stream, as they should be able to. I am just curious what it could be if it wasnt stocked.

It would Spring Creek minus the crazy sulphur hatch!

afishinado wrote:
Let's face it, the FBC is charged with collecting and spending our license dollars for fishing. Since many anglers are in favor of stocking trout for C&K, myself included on streams that cannot sustain a wild population. Forget all that for a moment. Which streams, in your opinion, are suitable for sustaining a fishable wild trout population but are currently stocked and/or under harvest regulations that suppress the numbers of wild trout? Think "could" be" not necessary "should be"....

Talk about a spot burn thread!!!!!!!

Ok here it goes I'll give three

Martins Creek

Trout Creek

Brodhead Creek!

afishinado wrote:
Which streams, in your opinion, are suitable for sustaining a fishable wild trout population but are currently stocked and/or under harvest regulations that suppress the numbers of wild trout? Think "could" be" not necessary "should be"....

If that's the case -most of my local streams would fit i believe.

Little Lehigh
Monocacy
Saucon
and numerous others

Problem is attitudes and education. It has been said before, there is a horrifying amount of people who think that trout come from trucks. As long as they believe that trout cannot survive in the wild, they will have no regard for sustaining the population. And to be honest, it is a moral dilemma for me to buy a fishing license knowing that part (probably most) of my money is going towards stocking over wild fish.

Back