Savage River: Bad News Confirmed and Proof

3wt7X

3wt7X

A recent trip to the Savage River displayed a terrible truth, the didymo problem has not only been confirmed on the Savage, but it has also spread like wildfire. I went out there to enjoy the warmer temperatures that we've been having. I was aware that didymo was located in the river, but I did not realize that it had spread to the point where you could hardly nymph it.

I started the day fishing a tandem nymph rig with a black pheasant tail and midge patterns in an attempt to emulate the tiny black stones. I immediately noticed the "rock snot" and I was cleaning my nymphes every other cast. It got to the point were I simply gave up nymphing. I did notice plenty of tiny black stones on banks and in the wooded areas around the stream, so I switched over to a dry fly despite not seeing any appearent risers. I ended up having a very enjoyable day, catching 8 browns in about 5 hours on top, but I could not help but feel bad for the river that I love. Sorry, I only took one picture of the didymo, but I can attest that it was covering nearly all the rocks and it is definatley going to be a big problem. Needless to say, I spent sometime cleaning my gear when I got home. :-(

Attachments

• SR3.jpg
    SR3.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 7
  • SR1.jpg
    SR1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 2
  • SR2.jpg
    SR2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 2
Sorry...can one of the mods edit the title to say "news" rather than "new."

3wt7X wrote:
Sorry...can one of the mods edit the title to say "news" rather than "new."

Fixed.

Yeah, this is bad news - a real mess. I wonder how bad it will be in the Potomac (if at all). At least the fish are thriving.

I just cannot come to grips with how fast that stuff spreads around. Last year the Savage was scowered, all but clean, as a result of the silt slide, and the boulders and rocks were left shiny and clean, and within 6 months that!

This sucks for sure. I know a lot of board members hate the felt ban but I'm glad they are trying to do something.

Ive avoided rivers with didymo altogether. I wanted to fish the Savage but from the looks of it now, Ive got another to just plain avoid.

Sorry to hear this news.

Is there a site or someplace that there is a list of infected waters ?

bingsbaits wrote:
Is there a site or someplace that there is a list of infected waters ?

Good question.GG

That really, really stinks! I was maybe going to try and plan a trip there but knowing that probably not, I hate that stuff. I have had dealings with that in other systems and I hate it!

My wife and I were planning a trip to the Savage over Easter. Not sure if we should go now.

Thanks for the report, as sad as it may be.

So far in Pa. we only know of it being in the upper Delaware River, but given the number of anglers who fish there from other locales in the state, it is one of the worst places where it could occur if one is concerned about transporting it to new waters.

Mike,

First time I've heard that about the Delaware. I have to assume it includes the West Branch. True?

englishprof wrote:
Mike,

First time I've heard that about the Delaware. I have to assume it includes the West Branch. True?

Yup....east,west and mainstem. PLEASE, clean all your waders, boots and equipment after fishing this River.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/environmentdec/45398.html

http://www.riverreporter.com/issues/07-10-25/head2-didymo.html

Wish I had known this last year. No one up there ever mentioned a word. Where the hell did this stuff originate?

Didymo - USGS, FCSC

Scientific name: Didymosphenia geminata (Lyngb.) M. Schmidt

Synonym: Gomphonema geminata (Lyngb.) C. Agardh

Common names: Didymo, Rock snot
Click image to enlarge

Native To: Northern Europe and northern North America (Vancouver Island)

Date of U.S. Introduction: Was present in Canada in the late 1800s, but did not begin to cause problems until the early 1990s. It was present in the rivers of the Western U.S. by 2004, and it was first discovered east of the Mississippi River in 2005 in Tennessee.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/waterq/lakes/docs/ans/lp_didnadistmap.pdf

link to source: http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/didymo.shtml

Just because it is not in your waters now it could be:

PAFBC has a billboard sign allong I-90 up here about check, Clean, and Dry your gear.

Found this:

Check, Clean and Dry
DEC continues to urge anglers and other water recreationists to Check, Clean and Dry to prevent the introduction and spread of didymo and other potentially invasive organisms from one water to another:

Clumps of algae can be transported on motors, equipment and clothing. Be careful to clean off all gear thoroughlyCheck -- Before leaving a river or stream, remove all obvious clumps of algae and look for hidden clumps. Leave them at the affected site. If you find any later, do not wash them down drains; dispose of all material in the trash.

Clean -- Treatment varies depending on what needs to be cleaned. Be sure that the cleaning solution completely penetrates thick absorbent items such as felt-soled waders and wading boots.

For non-absorbent items:

Detergent or salt: soak or spray all surfaces for at least one minute in a five-percent solution (by volume) of dishwashing detergent or salt (seven ounces of detergent or salt added to water to make one gallon); or
Bleach: soak or spray all surfaces for at least one minute in a two-percent solution (by volume) of household bleach (three ounces of bleach added to water to make one gallon); or
Hot water: soak for at least one minute in very hot water kept above 140° F (hotter than most tap water), or for at least 20 minutes or in hot water kept above 115° F (uncomfortable to the touch).
Absorbent items require longer soaking times. For example, felt-soled waders require:

Hot water: soak for at least 40 minutes in hot water kept above 115° F; or
Hot water plus detergent: soak for 30 minutes in hot water kept above 115° F containing five-percent dishwashing detergent.
Dry -- If cleaning is not practical, after the item is completely dry to the touch, wait an additional 48 hours before contact or use in any other waterway. Check thick absorbent items closely to assure that they are dry throughout. Equipment and gear can also be placed in a freezer until all moisture is frozen solid.

Note: If cleaning, drying or freezing is not practical, restrict equipment to a single water body. While DEC recommends anglers always take these precautions, it is especially important that any gear used out of state be treated before use in New York waters.

Good video. Every TU, fishing club, boy scouts ... should show it.

1.) Is there a correction for it once it has taken hold?
2.) Beyond nuisance, what are the negative ramifications?
3.) And is there a video that includes ways of cleaning?

Come on dude,

wake up
http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2010/may/13/0513_snot/

It's been in the D longer than the gunpowder and savage, it's every where in up state NY..Guys like you out there tracking it around-with out a thought..How could you not be aware of the biggest story in FF in 10 years-it's every where-Let me guess=you wear felts, right?

sundrunk wrote:
Come on dude,

wake up

It's been in the D longer than the gunpowder and savage, it's every where in up state NY..Guys like you out there tracking it around-with out a thought..How could you not be aware of the biggest story in FF in 10 years-it's every where-Let me guess=you wear felts, right?

This is the best you have!!!!! Your article is from May, 2010 and states the stuff has been found in five New York streams. Doesn't even mention the Delaware. "Biggest story in FF in 10 years-it's every where".....apparently not, dude. You have to do a lot better than this. By the way, I'd venture to say most guys here wear felts.

englishprof wrote:
sundrunk wrote:
Come on dude,

wake up

This is the best you have!!!!! Your article is from May, 2010 and states the stuff has been found in five New York streams. Doesn't even mention the Delaware. "Biggest story in FF in 10 years-it's every where".....apparently not, dude. You have to do a lot better than this. By the way, I'd venture to say most guys here wear felts.

It's presence in the Delaware would be considered common knowledge in our local TU chapter for some time. The fact that you fished there and were unaware shows that we still need to do a better job getting the word out.

Fished the West Branch and main stem last year for the first time in over thirty years. Fished with people who have fished it many times recently. Bought flies and a rod at Border Water Outfitters in Hancock. No one mentioned it and no warning signs anywhere. Yes, I'd say a better job of informing the public is needed, Sundrunk's article notwithstanding. Oh, everyone was wearing felt and they were sold in the store.

Back