Olives

F

flyfish1955

Any olives on Spring Creek yet? Have to be getting close.

No. Four days off at least.

Probably longer with all of the snow melting and yet to melt. Things are not looking good for a little while longer.

Saw some on a local spring creek today (but not The Spring Creek!).

I've seen them on spring creek already

Yes, I was on Spring Creek today from Bellefonte to just below the paradise and saw olives in four different sections. Saw two rises as well. Also talked with five other guys streamside who reported seeing them also.

They were out in good numbers on a brookie stream today in the half hour I was there. Also saw a handful on a small spring creek but the fish were hammering streamers so I didn't look too closely for rises.

Here's a question, are you asking because you're asking about a specific species? Most streams have what many folks call olives hatching sporadically all year.

No. Just wondering if there were any on Spring Creek in Bellefonte yet.

I seen them popping yesterday on spring. Nothing major, and no fish rising to them. The water was up and colored yesterday though, and the fishing was pretty slow, but the olives are starting.

Edit: Seen them below benner springs, and below bellfonte

Chaz wrote:
Here's a question, are you asking because you're asking about a specific species? Most streams have what many folks call olives hatching sporadically all year.

^Good point by Chaz

Here's some really good info on the "olive" aka Baetis hatch one would expect to see beginning this time of year in PA:

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/240/Mayfly-Baetis-tricaudatus-Blue-Winged-Olive

Chaz wrote:

What temps are optimal for ...

Olive hatches?

Fishing rising to them?

I can look for Olives hatching everywhere in Pa, right?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Chaz wrote:

What temps are optimal for ...

Olive hatches?

Fishing rising to them?

I can look for Olives hatching everywhere in Pa, right?[/quote]

Olives hatch from a lot of cold water streams, just about every wild trout stream in PA has them, not necessarily the same species. And because they are usually baetis, they aren't all olive in color. They range from yellow to olive, some are even orange. But a rusty spinner always seems to work.
Tie some in a soft hackle pattern and use this when there's a spinner fall, Many baetis 'swim' to the bottom to lay there eggs, and you may not see trout taking them if they are taking the subsurface flies.
They don't always hatch on cloudy days like some writers say they do, I've fished over them on many bright sunny days. Spinnerfalls occur in late afternoon on warmer days, can happen anytime during cold days.
Stream temps are more important, I'd say from 35 degrees up. And if they are hatching on a cold day, don't use float ant, let the fly sink to the surface film.

Back