Nymphs

Troutking

Troutking

Here is another question. I been trying to find out how to fish nymphs with a floating line. The reason is that the line I bought first when I started fly fishing is a floating line. I read that you can put a split shot on your leader about a foot above the fly. Is that right? If so how big of a split shot? Is there a better way? So much to learn lol

BTW: What are one or two of the best flies to have in the fall?

Thanks

Here is a good compilation of possible nymph rigs:
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

There is no right or wrong way, so experiment and use your intuition whenever necessary.

I have found that you want enough weight to tick the bottom throughout the drift. You will occasionally get snagged, but that means you are presenting the fly deep enough. If you are getting snagged often, or if your drift is not moving with the current, remove some weight. It's a constant adjustment game.

Yes most people use floating line when nymphing. There are of course exceptions. Some use indicators, some use a technique called "high sticking". Basically you drift it similar to a dry but of course the nymph is sunken and you raise your arm in the air to get as much line off the water as possible. Then follow the nymph downstream to keep a very little bit of tension on the line to feel the strike. Some people are pretty good at this technique. You can use any sort of strike indicator, and it is just like a bobber. Cast, drift, wait for it to go under. Usually a little easier for beginners.

There are many types of nymphs. The rule usually is, the later in the season, the smaller the nymphs. Don't get too caught up in specifics... a Hares ear, prince, zug or pheasant tail will do in most instances. Start with 1 then you can do a tandem and tie on a piece of tippet about 18" and tie on another nymph. Great way to present 2 flies in 2 different water columns and try to catch more fish.

There's a lot into it. The best way is to go out and fish and see what works for you. Keep it simple and build off of that.

Ryan

Back