New to Area

B

brooktrout72

I recently moved to Thorndale (Downingtown) and was wondering if there were any good local streams to fish. Any info would be appreciated> Thanks!

Well the most obvious would be Valley Creek in VF NP. Closer though is West Valley Creek, I've never fished this stream but it is stocked and hold wild browns. Valley Creek is strictly wild browns and C & R. There are quite a few streams in the area that hold wild trout all year, check on the PFBC web site for more locations.

brook

welcome to our neck of the woods. Are you from upstate, or another place altogether?

The closest stream to you is the East Branch of the Brandywine, which flows right through D'town. Upstream is a special regs stretch which can be seasonably good for trout when stocked. The various Brandywines are good for spiny rays.

There are a number of small, less well known streams near, some even with wild browns and brooks. Get up with the local Valley Forge TU (2nd Thursdays) and maybe someone will share some info.

tl
les

brooktrout72:

Besides the aforementioned streams there is the Delayed Harvest Artificials Only stretch on Pickering Creek. While not as nice as Valley, the trout are dumber if you need a quick fix.

Also not too far away is the place where I caught my first trout, French Creek. Frenchie is a pretty creek that even has a FFO stretch with a covered bridge, just like you see in the magazines! I obviously have a soft spot for French Creek but I prefer the open water above the FFO. It does get crowded during the regular season but as is the norm with put & take water in SEPA, if you move a little bit you can find solitude.

Have fun!

I can second french creek.

The FFO section is usually pretty good (though, not yesterday) and usually not too crowded.

Bamboozle, don't overlook the water below the FFO section too! I caught a 4.5 - 5lb trout there last spring!

Back