Nets

MJE2083

MJE2083

Not sure if this topic has been brought up before but how many of you carry/use a net while fishing? Is it really easier on the fish? I don't even own a net and have never really used one while fishing. I notice that some private streams and clubs recommend or require a net.

unless fishing a creek that I know only contains little fish, I always carry a net.

I almost always have one.
I enjoy photographing fish and find a net makes getting control of a big fish, and getting it unhooked, is easier. With a net, I can also keep the fish in the water while I'm fumbling with a camera etc. However, for most fish I catch, I don't use a net - just those I intend to photograph or keep.

FORCEPS.......IN THE WATER.

I'm thinking of getting one, any recommendations on a light weight, yet useful model. Seems that most people carry a net on their back, any tips on keeping the net from getting snagged while walking through brush?

I'm like Fishidiot and carry a net with me most of the times for photo purposes, especially so on really small streams. Never know when you're going to catch that big "pool boss" brown in a brookie stream, or the elusive wild tiger, only to let it become unhooked and swim away while messing with the camera. The only times that I never carry a net is when fishing for bigger fish like steelhead or carp by myself, as it's almost impossible to net them on your own.

Rubber nets make life easier but they are heavy.

Fishidiot wrote:
I almost always have one.
I enjoy photographing fish and find a net makes getting control of a big fish, and getting it unhooked, is easier. With a net, I can also keep the fish in the water while I'm fumbling with a camera etc. However, for most fish I catch, I don't use a net - just those I intend to photograph or keep.
+1 Exactly why I carry a net. I don't use it very often but when I do it's very handy.

krayfish wrote:
Rubber nets make life easier but they are heavy.

I'm pro rubber bag as opposed to the fabric variety. I had a very nice fish on Spring Ck thrashing in my net and the fly tangled in the nylon bag. The fish spun so many times while I was trying to free the fly that when I released him, part of his jaw was stuck in the net. I felt horrible.

I really believe that unless photographing a fish, they can be cradled by hand in the water, unhooked, and released without too much drama. This is a pretty common practice out in the PNW with steelheaders.

I always take a net.. And on trips where I realize I don't have it, that's when I know I'm going to hook a big one and get screwed by not having one. Life is way easier with a net.

I never carry a net.

I always carry one, I only use it when I have to. I prefer like Osprey
mentioned above, foreceps in the water.

GenCon

I think it was Becker that showed me a new trick. Net for browns and rainbows......wrist rocket for brookies. They like to be released 30' into the laurel and work their way back to the stream.

In cold weather a net is necessary, unless you want to end your day after one fish.

I am normally looking for big'ens and where I fish any kind of fish could end up caught...muskie, cats, bass, walleye and trout.

I use frabill brand nets for wading in two sizes. One is rectangular (20x9x9") and the other is a round steelhead net (20x23x16"). Both are the dipped cloth type mesh that eventually rips or disintegrate and a replacement net is not offered. A pure rubber net would be better. Hooks do get caught in the mesh. I have learned to handle a fish with out it going nuts in the net barrel-rolling. It keeps the fish in the water and the fish calm.

You learn to keep this bigger one slung over your back and out of the way. If you want to catch bugs it also makes a decent butterfly net. They also are useful for lure/fly recover from trees and the bottom of a stream.

When I caught a 28.5" brown and I was traveling down stream 60 yards trying to get it into the smaller net I gave up and had to slide the fish towards the bank. Almost had a heart attack.

I took out the bigger net for the first time and caught a 24.5" fish. The power of suggestion!

Attachments

• Nets_R.jpg
    Nets_R.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 4
  • HR_Dawg.jpg
    HR_Dawg.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3760_R.jpeg
    IMG_3760_R.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P2120784_R.jpg
    P2120784_R.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
krayfish wrote:
I think it was Becker that showed me a new trick. Net for browns and rainbows......wrist rocket for brookies. They like to be released 30' into the laurel and work their way back to the stream.

I laughed

I thought brookies were like mud puppies, no?

SBecker wrote:
I thought brookies were like mud puppies, no?

Well we all know they can be caught on cigarette butts. My brookie net came from "That Fish Place" in Lancaster before they closed. Nice little thing with a green wire frame and real fine cloth mesh so those little buggers can't fall through when I net 'em. Works great on guppies and tetras too.

i always carry a net, its easier than wristing them or waiting until they are tired enough to stop thrashing.

i never remove the net from the water, i just bend down with hemos remove the fly, hold the fish in the current and drop the net and it'll go if ready. i try not to touch the fish.

the reason i carry a net is because there's nothing much worse than releasing and reviving a nice fish carefully, only to watch it swim a few feet and go belly up and not have any thing to grab it back - tree branches and the rod don't work.

If you are worried about carrying your net I definitely recommend a magnetic release. Best money I spent to keep me sane.

I've done a search for the Wrist Rocket net and I can't find one. Kray maybe you could help me.
Is it like a tube mounted like on a watch band that ploops the fish back out into the water or whatever at a distance.

Back