Moving to Missoula!

YoughnessMonster

YoughnessMonster

Hey guys, heading to grad school in missoula. Wanted to seeif anyone has experiences they'd like to share about fishing, the people,restaurants and Montana in general.

My brother in law lives in Bozeman. Now I hate you too !! But really....your in for a great time.

How the heck are you going to record Phil and I at HNFI next year if you are all the way out there? I forbid you to leave the trout paradise you live in to chase greatness!

Lol good luck and have fun!

Take a lot of warm clothes - you'll need them. Winter is late october to mid April, and it's as cold as Northern Maine. PA winters don't come close.

It is different out West. Folks take their time, people are more polite but they have their own ways, some can seem a little cranky to an outsider - which is what you will be for the first 35 years or so.

If you think people are looking at you a bit funny and or indulging you, they generally are. You're the odd one.

Also don't go to bars alone, don't talk to chicks unless you are 1000% sure their boyfriend isn't playing pool on the other side of the bar with his buddies. And never ever get into a bar fight. Beg, plead or run but don't think about it. You will get your *** kicked.

Also expect to get your balls busted at every fly store, diner, hotel or gas station. Even by ladies of a certain age. The theme will be the same - you know nothing about fly fishing and you can't fish for #censor#.

Just grin and bear it with a smile. Anything you do to try to change their opinion will a) make it worse and b) make you look desperate.

Best of luck out there.

Anybody can fish Montana, place has a damn billion fish in every water. It takes skill to fish Pennsylvania. You are a leg up on everybody out there already.

Since you're moving there ya gotta tell everyone that Montana is over rated and Wyoming is the new Montana.....cause it is a little bit....but ya just gotta say it.

Ah, Missoula. My old stompin' ground. I went to the U of M, just out of high school. Those were the days. You have the Clarks Fork of the Columbia, Bitterroot, Rattlesnake creek all with in walking distance of town. Rock Creek, the Blackfoot within thirty minutes drive, and in an hour you can be on still more good water just over the state line into Idaho.

I don't think the winters in Missoula were particularly harsh. Its sort of the "Banana belt" of the Northern Rockies. Don't get me wrong, come late March you can get a little twitchy, but there Are other things that can soak up a guys time thru the late winter. If you are pickin up, what I'm laying down.

I could probably get you a few names and numbers, but those gals would all be in their forties, now and you would likely want a little newer model. LOL!

I used to tip back a few cold ones at Stockman's Bar, and Duelin Dalton Saloon always had a good band, but I understand the name has changed since I paid my last bar tab. Hell the whole town has changed by now.

Good Luck in school. I'm pretty sure you're gonna like Missoula. I sure enjoyed thinkin back about it right now.

Sweet.

Hard to quantify your "best day" fishing. I have arguments with myself about my best day.

But one of mine was on a trib to the Bitteroot. According to the Angler's Roost- it was tight and brushy- had to laugh,it was about half to 2/3rd's the size of Fishing Creek. Anyways- Bull trout and Westslope cutts are in play there.

Lots of traffic on the road from Missoula to Hamilton.

Anyways- it's a great spot. Have fond memories on Rock Creek and Blackfoot. I would love to move there maybe after my parents pass (sorry to morbid).

Enjoy.

Not too worried about the ladies, my girlfriend/future wife is coming alon as well as my yellow lab. It's been a headache finding a place to rent that allows large pets anddd that she finds live able. I on the other hand have no problem with a studio apt. Gonna try to fish as much as I can but will have limits as a grad student + TA. Also have seta goal to take a mule deer, elk, and Merrimack gobbler. Looking forward to the adventure

Also if anyone has advice on moving 2 cars and enough possessions for a2 bedroom apt, with a girlfriend who's timid about driving across country

Check out The Big Sky Brewing Company. Great selection of beers including one of my favs Moose Drool.

Yeah, when my now wife and I lived in Idaho for a summer, finding a place to rent to both of us was very difficult, especially from a distance. Seems that pretty much all landlords didn't allow mixed gender tenants who weren't married. We eventually found one who broke their own rule with a wink and a nod. They knew we were engaged, but submitted the paperwork as if we were siblings or something. Not sure if it was a law we were skirting, or just a more reasonable "local" landlord lying to a boss. Either way, we broke some sort of rule with not only the knowledge of the landlord, but the landlord was an actual accomplice. It was about our 20th choice, the first 19 were not willing to allow it to happen.

Advice. Sell the bigger stuff that's tough to haul, buy new stuff out there. Pack both cars full. Tow the 2nd car, and drive together to take turns with driving duties. Treat the drive itself as an adventure. Give yourself plenty of time, with plans to spend a little time in "touristy" places such as the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc.

Once you're past greater Chicago, the actual driving is VERY easy.

when we did our move across from MA to DE we paid a college kid to drive one car back - we advertised on craigslist....and we hired a U Haul with a fixed tow on the back to the CRV.

we were a little short of money as i was out of work so we kept and took everything. i figured we'd lose money on the sale about the same as the truck and tow rental.

Best of luck. You'll love it! Stay focused on your schooling, it will afford u a smooth life moving forward. Enjoy everything that area offers!

JMP wrote:
What are you studying?[/quote]

Going for a masters in Geography with a concentration in GIS/Cartography

Going for a masters in Geography with a concentration in GIS/Cartography

Very cool. I have a BA in Geography and currently work as a CADD/GIS Manager at a civil engineering company. Best of luck in your pursuits.

I have also been to Missoula albeit for only 5 days, but I liked Rock Creek the best when I was in that area. I have a couple of friends that lived there for several years, but have since moved back to PA. I guess they got homesick . . .

Back