Monsoon season

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Another monsoon for much of PA. Central PA streams blown out as well as the D & Susky and Lehigh rivers for the most part.

Terrible spring season with all the high water. I guess we are paying for a normal flows and a good fishing season last spring.

I fished a small, but not tiny, freestone stream in Centre Cty yesterday evening and the flow level was perfect.

I think many of the wild trout freestoners will be at a good level for fishing this weekend.

Yeah - it pretty much poured all this past week around here also. And the large streams anyway - are all blown out.

Too bad we can't save some of this rain for late summer

NO PROBLEMS HERE

Yeah, spent most of my time this spring stripping streamers instead of fishing dries on some streams or driving up to the headwater streams when I planned to fish the rivers. That's the way it goes some years.

Frustration today on a very nice day. Loaded up the streamer rod and headed to Crooked Creek Lake in Armstrong County for some WW action. Pulled into the parking lot to see a bunch of people standing around. Park worker comes up to the car and tells me they're having a fishing derby, good thing is it's over in about 10 minutes, bad thing due to rising water table they are closing the area down in 10 minutes.

Just to liven this topic up a bit, fishing dries on Spring has been very good.

lv2nymph wrote:
Just to liven this topic up a bit, fishing dries on Spring has been very good.

After the Saturday flood at the jam, I now believe this statement to be always true. ;-)

Boyer

I did some brookie fishing around jersey shore sat and had to fight some leader drag but not it was not bad. will try some loyalsock sf brookies today late pm but I am more concerned about heat for me than high water in the stream.

Monsoon season equals lake season equals kayak season :-D

No high water up north. I view the high water in the southern tier as a plus, even though the weekends have been optimal, there's plenty of water in the streams and the fish are still there.

I fished a brookie stream yesterday in Cameron County, and drove by two other somewhat larger streams that hold native brookies and wild browns and that are also stocked.

All 3 streams were at a perfect flow level. Often by mid-June these streams are getting low, "down in the rocks."

If you have the opportunity, go now, the conditions are ideal.

For best results, fish in the afternoon, not the morning. The fish will hit dries best in the afternoon, after the water temps come up a bit. The brookie stream was 52F around 3:30 pm.

And the bugs, both aquatic and terrestrial, are more active in the afternoon, so it gets the trout looking up.

Anyway, I'll stand by my OP. Overall a very wet spring with huge storms making many rivers and streams unfishable multiple times or not very fun fishable for me anyway, since I look forward to hatches and fishing dries.

In addition, the high water has likely messed up the SMB spawn for yet another season.

The big rivers like the Susky, Juniata, Delaware and Lehigh are starting to clear but running high. Too high to wade, but should be fishable for boats.

The Upper Delaware WB is good for floating, but too high to wade and Main Stem is really high right now.

As posted above, the silver lining is the NC trout streams are looking good for flow and temp.

Most SE trout streams are running high, but getting down to a decent level for fishing and the temps are still cool enough for some decent trout fishing.

Every season is mixed, and this one is no different. Bugs were late, but had a few good days in between the downpours. Most hatches seemed to be right at dark with little earlier evening or afternoon risers. Last week the slate drakes started to provide some action earlier in the day, but then the latest storm killed that. Now with the water coming down there are plenty of well fed trout in the creeks and the season may be a touch longer than normal if we avoid a real heat wave. Brodhead and Bushkill are at good levels today, but bass bugging is good too so some tough decisions ahead.

Fortunately, it is a decision with no wrong choice.

the weather guys predicted this back in March - we are in for a long wet summer, due to the late ice out on Lake Superior.

We have had flows well above average all season in the Southeast. Other than the usual deluges instead of steady rains that sink in more efficiently, I view it as a huge plus. Yesterday I fished a stream that is often low and warm by now. It was 61 degrees and flush with trout; I brought over thirty to hand in a short (for me) day. The biggest negative is I'm constantly tempted to fish instead of taking care of the yard work, chores, and lining up more work. Make the best of it cause we'll probably have a drought by next Spring.

Back