Lunker!

Edmo

Edmo

Caught 4 trout today at my usual spot. One of them was a MONSTER rainbow! The largest fresh water trout of my life. An easy 20" and FAT and a bitch to land but I managed to get him in the net. Luckily my buddy was with me and he managed to get the final few moments on video along with a couple of still shots of me and the fish before I released him back into the cold waters of French Creek. I will post pics as soon as my buddy e-mails them to me (might take a day or two, he's not computer savy). I am still just so excited I had to tell you guys about it before the pics came. Who says winter fishing isn't worth the hastle of frozen guides, cold feet.....?

Congrats, Winter fishing at it's best!! Looking forward to the pics.

Jh

Good for you!

Sounds great! Always great to get into nice big fish. You wouldnt of happened to of been fishing at warwick park were you? I seen a fisherman land a decent sized trout, but it wasnt on fly gear.

Warwick park yes but I was fly fishing with my buddy Dave. I did not see any one else fishing there today but we did take a break for a couple of beers and a pizza around mid-day. I hope that monster bow can make it down stream to the fly fishing only area before some bait dunker comes along and makes him into dinner!

Congratulations Edmo, nice fish! Welcome to winter fishing.

not sure why the names have to be said about people fishing bait. You put your waders on the same way they do.

Not all bait fisherman are bad guys, but THESE bait fisherman don’t put their waders on the same way I do! As Sal says on occasion, “ I threw up a little in my mouth when I read this”…….

From the PFBC regulation change section on their site (link to entire regulation below):

“E. Summary of Proposal
The Commission’s waterways conservation officers during the past year encountered
anglers catching large female brown trout and removing the eggs contained within the fish. The fish were released back into the waters from which they were taken. The anglers indicated that they used these eggs as bait to fish for trout in other water areas. The continued removal of eggs from large female trout may have a detrimental effect on the numbers of young of the year fish in a wild trout population and likely cause undue harm to a fish that is released.

Currently, the regulations require that fish must be released immediately unharmed from most specially regulated trout waters. Officers successfully charged two individuals for a violation of this regulation and, in doing so, had to prove that the fish were harmed by the removal of the eggs.

In order to clearly prohibit this activity, the Commission proposes that a new regulation be added to read as set forth in Annex A. By notice published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin at 38 Pa. B. 3875 (July 12, 2008), the Executive Director, acting under the authority of §65.25 (relating to temporary changes to fishing regulations), took immediate action to make it unlawful to take eggs from a fish taken from waters of this Commonwealth outside the Lake Erie watershed or to possess these eggs or use them as bait. Eggs taken from lawfully harvested fish from the Lake Erie watershed may be possessed and used as bait in the Lake Erie watershed only. This temporary modification went into effect immediately and will remain in effect until January 1, 2009, unless the Commission, by appropriate action, adopts the new regulation.”

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/rulemakings/205nprp.pdf

Wow that makes me sick as well some bait fisherman ruin it for others and give them a bad name. I fish bait time to time minnows and never harm a trout or keep a trout for that fact also never hook a trout deep enought to harm it if are a smart bait fisherman you can keep a tight line and set the hook fast.

And again i threw up in my mouth little.....

I did not intend to bad-mout anyone. Just rooting for the fish so he may be enjoyed by others. Take it as you please.

Im taking it as you said it

Bait dunker - one who dunks bait. Sounds like a normal bait fisherman to me. *shrugs*

Exactly... thats all I did was use a term for bait fishermen. I did not say anything was wrong with it, I did not say bait dunkers are a**holes. Hell, do you think I never fished bait in my life? Do you think I never ate a trout? I just used a term which I find comical to describe the act of fishing with bait. Since when did bait dunker become the N-word? Like I said before take it as you please, if you need to read more into it thats your problem. BTW this IS a fly fishing forum isn't it?
Hook_Jaw
I didn't SAY anything I wrote something.

I'd expect nothing less from you fly-flickers.

Lighten up guys:

Which bait fishermen are not like that? Kids, guys who fish for bass in lakes and a small amount who fish for trout in local streams.

I'll go out on a limb and say most, not all, are from what I've seen just in the past year. A few SMALL examples:

3 guys fined for using bait in a DHALO section of Quittie by a WCO and then bitch about the fine on a park bench afterwards. They also had their rods and licences taken by the WCO. Then while leavng the stream, tear down all the DHALO signs they see on their way out. They knew what the regulations were there. They bitched because they got caught. I went around and hung them all back up. Like tearing down the signs would change the regulations?!
Then they had the balls to come back the next day and fish the same place. Would not have belived it if I didn't see it myself. When they left their takle box by the stream and went down stream, I took all the powerbait and salmon egg jars out of their takle box and left.

The amout of worm conatiners, spinner packages, powerbait jars, bread wrappers, salmon egg containers, ect that I have picked up on DHALO and FFO sections of streams this past year was unbelivable. Bobbers and hooks hanging from trees in regulated areas. (shakes head in disgust)

No reguard for rules and regulations or the environment.
Does this look familiar?
409.jpg

or this?
197.jpg

We've all seen it. We know who's NOT doing it. Like I said not all of them are but a good portion do this crap. And it's the ones who know better who do it.

Yes, this is a fly-fishing forum. It is called paflyfish.com afterall

good as any place to relay an experience from this past saturday. I get to the tail end of a pool am standing in the water tying a fly on, about to work the pool from the tail end upstream. I hear a guy say "hey ya" I say "hello how are you" back...all friendly right?

Then i notice he has some buckets with him. he mumbles something. I say "what was that?" "he says "gotta put my minnows in" - while i'm trying to figure out what that means, he proceeds to take a large metal pipe and a hammer. Directly upstream from me he hammers the pipe into the stream bed "clang! clang! clang!" and then ties some minnow buckets and floats them in the stream.

I couldn't believe it. Was he that ignorant? or just that rude? I shook my head and moved well upstream.

Now im laughing on the the little bit of throw up in my mouth....

I can't stand bait dunkers and i'm proud to say it... For the most part 90 % of them always leave the stream in a worse condition than the way they found it . Almost all anglers that are conservation oriented use primarly artificial lures . There is a stream 5 minutes from my house thats stocked and I don't fish it because of all the trash and bait containers laying around almost all the fisherman I see there have no respect for the stream, themselves or other fisherman ...

Back