In Pittsburgh for the weekend. Any suggestions on beer and food?

• Thread starter allenflyfishing
  • Start date
A

allenflyfishing

A good friend of ours is getting married this weekend in Pittsburgh. Any suggestions of some good local beer and food?

Thanks

Justin

The furries are in town this weekend.

http://www.anthrocon.org/

Good local beer is RiverTown. Depends what part of town your in for food. Primanti Bros. Is always a good lunch spot, and they have a bunch of locations.

Italian district.

Fat Heads.

fatheads is a good choice. twisted kilt, on the north side near PNC park, is pretty good too. redbeards on shilo, on Mt Washington. tesaro's in Bloomfield. Roland's on Penn ave in the Strip District. smallman st deli in the Strip too.

The best locally brewed beer can be found at East End Brewing Company. You can get as many samples as you want, and get a growler filled at the Brewery in Homewood, or you can get growlers at their stand in the Public Market in the Strip District.

Not sure what kind of food you are interested in, or where you are staying, but Cure in Lawrenceville is excellent if you are looking for a nice meal.

http://www.eastendbrewing.com/

http://curepittsburgh.com/

here...

http://www.churchbrew.com/

I really like the hofbrau house on the south side. Even though it's kind of a chain now - there are several others around the country I believe - their beer is brewed on site and it's very good.

Being from Pittsburgh, and now living in Philly, my opinion is:

Philly wins on beer.
Pitt wins on food.

I'm probably late to the party, but where in Pitt?

pcray1231 wrote:
Being from Pittsburgh, and now living in Philly, my opinion is:

Philly wins on beer.
Pitt wins on food.

I'm probably late to the party, but where in Pitt?

Other than putting fries in your sammy, what great culinary offerings make the Burgh superior to the hundreds of great restaurants in and around Philly that offer cuisine from just about anywhere around the world?

Both places offer cuisine from anywhere around the world. And in the world of chains, it's the same anywhere you go.

Mostly better bar food. Wings are FAR superior, so much so that it ain't funny. But the same is true for most other fried foods. I also think the hoagies in the Pitt area are far better than Philly, yes, even the steak hoagies. Slaw. Certainly more Italian food in the area than in Philly, and much more Polish influence as well.

There are many crappy eateries in New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Philidelphia than there are in Monessen. And we have an Italian joint that rivals any in the world:

Lucchesi's

Oh, no relation, if you are wondering.

Dear Jack,

Not to get too far off the subject but I think many younger people would be amazed by the little restaurants and bars in small towns all across PA that serve great food.

I don't think a lot of people just go somewhere to try it and see what is up anymore?

It's kind of sad, but then again I'm kind of old and miserable so I'm easily saddened. I just wish more people had a bit more of a sense of adventure and didn't rely so much on twitter and google.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Folks come from miles around, big fancy cars.... Fedoras.

pcray1231 wrote:
Both places offer cuisine from anywhere around the world. And in the world of chains, it's the same anywhere you go.

Mostly better bar food. Wings are FAR superior, so much so that it ain't funny. But the same is true for most other fried foods. I also think the hoagies in the Pitt area are far better than Philly, yes, even the steak hoagies. Slaw. Certainly more Italian food in the area than in Philly, and much more Polish influence as well.

it is common knowledge that i love pittsburgh.and pittsburgh has an incredible music scene,as good as philadelphia.they always had great food and music as long as i can remember.

but better than fluffya? i am beginning to suspect you have not truly investigated urban philadelphia cuisine .

Soooooo, How was the food, beer, wedding?

Back