How to record yourself fishing

FlyGuyFromPa

FlyGuyFromPa

How would I video myself fishing if I were fishing alone? Any devices out there designed for this specific thing? I want to be able to upload videos of myself fishing for friends/family and part of the blog I'm working on. I'm not trying to be a Roland Martin, I just want to be able to record myself because I want to be able to look back and see what I did wrong/right.

Here ya go:

http://gopro.com/

I don't have one, but have friends that do. They do take good quality video.

I have a Kodak play sport that can film underwater. It's much cheaper than the go pro but not as cool. A gorilla pod and a play sport would work...wrap around a tree limb?

Tripod & a Camera

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Here ya go:

http://gopro.com/

I don't have one, but have friends that do. They do take good quality video.

You have friends?!

GoPro's are awesome, that'd probably be the best option. If not, a tripod and waterproof camera is another option.

I've done the tripod thing and also filmed myself by just laying the camera on a rock. I didn't like the tripod just because I don't like carrying it around all day, and the times I didn't use a tripod there wasn't always a good rock to set the camera on to get a decent vid. I don't have one, but the go pro is the way to go.

gaeronf wrote:
You have friends?!

Yes - and my friends can buy me a beer - legally. :lol:

Good catch on the legally part. Lol

take a small lag bolt cut the head off and cut a 1/4 x 18 threads in it then mount to camera then screw in deadwood works great..

I'll have to look into that. I'm sure the $200 one will be all I need, but that's quite a chunk to plop down on something I may not use that often. It does look quite nice though.

I purchased a Contour Roam last fall to record archery hunts. Have not tried it flyfishing, but recently picked up a mount that attaches to a ball cap. I've been playing with it around the house and think it will work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 4
I got a mini tripod with telescoping legs from the dollartree for rocording myself playing guitar. Its about 4" long when collapsed and really light. I sit it on on the piano bench. But a rock or log would work too. It was REALLY expensive, but worth every penny.

Gorilla pod folds up small enough to fit in a fishing pack.

Are you looking to record your field of view or are you looking to frame yourself as the subject? If you just want a point of view shot, then a GoPro or Contour camera will work great. If you want to be the subject of the shot, then either camera would work as well, but you're going to spend more time setting up and tearing down and you won't be mobile. I don't know that I've ever caught a memorable fish exactly where I planned to; periodically, I happen to catch a memorable fish while wearing the Contour HD camera I have.

Hey caveman your right 1/4 x 20 don't know why i said 18 must be thinking metric...lol

I will give a +1 on the GoPro.
If you are looking to save a few bucks keep in mind the GoPro Hero3 came out not too long ago. If you are looking for basic HD recording abilities, used GoPro Hero2's are selling for under $200 on Ebay and such.
Good way to save a few bucks if you don't need the features offered by the newer Hero3 Black and Silver editions that go for $400 and $300 respectively.

Flyguy, A tripod and digital camera there are hundreds of tripod around.
Sandfly,,,5/16 X18

I'm going to attempt my cell phone with the tripod I have for that. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking the Go Pro for $199 will do the job. I'm not trying to be famous. I am documenting my journey into FF and I want to be able to share my struggle and success (when it finally comes :lol: ) with my friends and those who may visit my blog. I'd upload them to youtube, but I don't really care much to "monetize" my page. Would it be cool to make money doing what I love? Absolutely, but that's not my intentions whatsoever.

I have been pondering this for quite some time. I have been told GoPros arent any good in low-light conditions. Anyone have any experience with them?

Back