How Big?

wetnet

wetnet

How big do trout have to be to satisfy you?

big enuff to get on my hook ;-)

its not about size or numbers. Just my opinion, but i feel like those who focus on either of those two things miss a big part of fly fishing (actually - fishing in general).

Sure - a big fish, or lots of fish is exciting - but that's a sub plot to the big picture IMHO.

All of those elements come into play. Of course I remember different trout for different reasons.

First the condom post, and now this.........

I'm starting to worry about you.

Any trout is nice to catch. Sometimes I marvel at the audacity of those little guys - some are just fearless. Wild fish are always special to me. Size doesn't matter - the size of the fight in the fish does though. ;-)

I remember about every fish. Not many were big.( In fact very few) So my vote for my own poll would be the memories. Absolutely! Not including small trees, shrubs or very ridiculously strong blades of grass!

I've found that fish between 10- 15" seem to satisfy me. The smaller fish don't give enough fight and the larger fish fight too much to the point that it becomes a chore.

bushwacker wrote:
I've found that fish between 10- 15" seem to satisfy me. The smaller fish don't give enough fight and the larger fish fight too much to the point that it becomes a chore.

Oh what a burden! :-D

I voted the timing...not sure what you ment about it Wet but this is what it means to me.

Timing is about when I figure them out or when I hit a hatch just right. That's the magic that keeps me coming back and enduring the slow days or the smell of skunk.

As for size I like to catch wild trout don't matter what size, especially in our home waters where they are not so prevelant. Catching a wildie over 12" is a real treat. Or catching a holdover in the teens up to twenty is a big thrill because it made it so long.

The memories of all are a value to me even on the smelly days of skunk.

I just like purty feesh...however, if the take is exactly what I was trying to create and the fight is just enough to be entertaining it can be very memorable.

All those come into play...I would add options for wild fish and tactic (ie dry, wet, nymph, streamer, etc.)...those play a role in my satisfaction as well.

I checked them all becuase I like every aspect, and too remember all most every fish I catch.

I agree with bushwaker, I like that 10 - 15" range. I don't catch very many large fish. I could catch handfuls fo 13" fish and consider it a great day.

"and too remember all most every fish I catch.
Really?
I remember big ones, ones in strange places but don't go much further than that. There are only about 5 fish that I distinctly remember, and they were mothers.

I mostly remember trips and if the fishing was good or bad. Like Mo, I remember the amazing hatches. Perhaps the memories I like most are the rivers. Each has its own feel. Nothing like that cool musky smell of hemlock and the sound of a river.

for me its not any of these factors its the details surrounding them the wind the smells the water scenery the wildlife everything....ohh yea and the fish

Can be lots of things that get it for you.

Maybe you only have one fly or your down to 2 feet of tippet, only dry flies or a muddler etc. etc..

Maybe one fish- I know there are many days when I ask for just one fish. Sometimes there are many fish- how many is many anyway? Maybe your quest is "the fish".

Fly fishing can be different everytime out. I know I like catching big fish- but does'nt happen that often that's why it's a big fish.

I enjoy fly fishing.

I like all trout, especially perty ones. Size does matter though.

But you can't put a number on it, its relative. I enjoy native brookie fishing. On a brookie stream, under 5" is a dink, 6" is average, 8" is a "good" fish, 10" is an achievable trophy, 12" is the fish of a season or more. On bigger waters, 8" is a dink, 10-12" an average fish, 13-15" a "good" fish, 16-20" an achievable trophy, and 20+ is the fish of a season.

And size isn't the only factor. Color, difficulty, location, type of take, how you achieved it (dumb luck vs. some sort of skill or figuring out a good approach, etc.). They all play their part. For instance, I'm no purist, I'll use junk flies, nymphs, streamers, etc. Even bait or spinners once or twice a year. But, I remain convinced that if you catch a fish on a dry fly, you are allowed to consider it a full 3" bigger than it actually is. If its caught with bait, subtract 3".

I appreciate every fish that rises to my fly

Size is a completely relative, and subjective, part of the fishing experience. Some of my all time favorite streams are full of 4 to maybe 10 inch fish. Then there are the places, both in Pa and here, that an 18 incher is kinda average.

Personally I enjoy fishing the streams where a 10 inch fish is huge as much as other waters where you fully expect much larger fish. I have been fortunate to live in places where the size of the fish I expect to catch on any given day was determined largely by the direction I turned at the end of my driveway.

One of the greatest thrills of being a guide is helping someone catch the trout of a lifetime: Whether that is their first ever on a fly or the biggest they have ever caught. I can honestly say that I am just as excited as my fishermen are in those situations.

Memories of fish taken and fish missed. The big one that rises , looks, and drops back down. Or the sloppy cast that gets hammered .The trout that fights well beyond his size. As a beginner fooling one with a fly you tied. Watching you best friend catch the fish of his life.

For me, all of those aspects play a role to some degree. Size of the fish isn't all that important. But, it is nice to catch a big one every once in a while though. The beauty of these wild trout is what really attracts me to fishing for these jewels. Also, the anticipation of a particular fishing trip to a remote stream in the mountains allows my imagination to do neat things. The planning, reading of maps, and general research is a lot of fun as well. I love the hiking aspect of being on the stream. Looking up ahead and planning which route I'll take to sneak up on a certain beautiful hole/pool or run is exciting. Pictures are a very important part of all of my fishing trips!

The fact that I catch a trout is good enough for me, but I think it goes beyond that. The memories are made from the experience had, or the friends you meet or fish with, or the effort (or lack of ie. luck) that you deal with in obtaining a fish. Size makes memories, but so does knowing a fish is gonna be right where you think its gonna be, and then catching it!

Back