help

G

grizzly1972

Hi guys I am rather new to fly fishing, I am going out sunday to somerset county brush creek. Could you give me some tips on maybe what I should try and how to fish them.
thanks a ton

I usually stick with nymphs and emergers: Pheasant tails, caddis pupa, and some attraction patterns; emergers with bent bodies: klinkhamer and my own variations. If I do fish dries, it's usually terrestials, mostly ants, because ants don't get the chance to fly away and the fish know this. I would fish every place you think has fish with a nymphing rig with a strike indicator- fish this time of year often take insects with very little effort.

Hi
Thankyou very much for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I guess using a woolybugger with a pheasant tail nymph would not be a great choice for fall time? maybe I should just fish ants and beetles. The water in brush creek is also extremely low. The last time I fished this creek was in early june and it was still loaded with fish. I had a lot of luck in the spring when you guys told me to fish woolybuggers, which I never really fished them that much. I only had luck with the buggers that where bead headed. I am assumin this was because they had the shiny little bead that maybe attracted this fish more so than the bugger without the bead head? Well thanks again for the help and good luck to all..

Grizzly,

I don't know what the weather is like in Somerset, but here in Hbg, the weather turned a bit warm and humid with a light shower every now and again. To my mind, this is a perfect time to try an ant! The warm weather keeps 'em active and the rain knocks them in the creek.

Buggers are worth trying all the time, everywhere. They are as likely to catch a trout as any other fly in your box, even if a blizzard hatch of caddis and sulphurs are coming off as the Green Drake spinners are coming back to the water... even then... don't rule out a bugger. I think the beadheads can be more effective because of the flash as you say, but they will also sink a little more (or a little more quickly) because of the additional weight.

Padraic

Back