Guided trip - Delaware

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

So my wife gave me an awesome present for Christmas...she got me a full day guided float trip on the Delaware for the spring or summer on the day of my choice. She is awesome! My only rod that I have for water like that is a 590-4 Sage ZXL. What else should a get for this trip and perhaps trips afterwards? Do I need a 6 or 7 weight, longer rod, etc? Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas everyone!

Hey BB. Your gunna hate my answer.....that rod will work fine, and you don't need to purchase another rod for your trip....sorry! ;-)

sending PM

That's a sweet gift!! Worry about fly patterns and pack a rain jacket.

That rod is perfect. I went with an 8 wt and my buddy a 7 wt. Our guide ended y up loaning us 5 wts.

9ft 5wt is perfect. Especially that rod.

I am actually glad to hear that I don't need to pick up more gear...even though I am a gear junkie! I can't wait to go!

Who's the trip with?

AG Outfitters...I assume Adam will be running it. He signed the certificate. I hope it turns out well and we get into some fish.

Nice, good kid and knows his stuff.

Adam and Greg are good people. You should have a great time.

When are you going? I do my own thing on the main stem right near long eddy, if you go middle of May I'll be there

Bass,

Tell the guide you want to float from Stockport to Long Eddy and tell him that you'll do the row out for him! Pick up kleese on your way through. It's only a 2 mile row out...in the dark....through what appears to be a never ending lake. :)

kleese,

We may cross paths up there. Couple of guys from here... Caddis, DaveS, Alby, PhilC and Becker if we let him tag along. I've actually been saying for the last 2-3 years that I was going to hit the lower section but never made it because the vehicle shuttle is $50 or if we do it ourselves, the drive sucks.

Yes, you'll be gold with that rod. AG will have some extra gear as well - nice to have a couple of rods, especially if it's just you in the boat. They will know the best water to fish depending on when you end up choosing. The section below Long Eddy can be VG March-May as well. Unfortunately, sections are usually chosen based on the location of the guide's home base. Have fun - great gift!

On a side note, if anyone is interested, in the spring, we'd be happy to coordinate efforts for a Callicoon float and alleviate the need for a shuttle fee.

Tom,

I'll give you or Pete a shout closer to spring about a shuttle set up. Have never floated below long eddy and I know I should. Waded with minimal success.

I agree with the 9 ft 5 wt, but if you can bring a 7 wt with a sinking line to have along side you that'll be the difference for either different conditions than what you're anticipating and also if you catch a short window of a rising pod you won't have to breakdown and setup to catch it.

We do our own thing always do awesome up there drop off up river and float to camp or float from camp to a vehicle. Best thing to use is an inflateable drift boat unless your have a Hyde haha. Kayaks move too fast in riffles if you are just floating through them. We camp right on the river on the only spot of land between the rail road tracks and river that isn't government owned now. Got luck and became a member of this fishing club that has been going on 54 years now

I don't believe that the frisbee island and adjacent land was every purchased by the state or feds so camping near there is a big no no. The landowner doesn't hesitate to shoot over your head if you even drop anchor on his land. The family actually has a deed going back to the 1700's. After the pod msn died, the son followed the same behavior but seemed to soften his position in the last couple of years. Maybe he sold to the parks service.

As for camping on the banks, I'm afraid to. Had way to many bear encounters and some were frighteningly close. Just make sure you clean up after yourselves.

Why you hatin?

The property I stay on is very much privately owned and yes pretty much would tear your head off if you are on the bank, our special privileges allow us to camp there twice a year as a Delaware fishing club. I wouldn't risk camping on that river otherwise the fish and game up there as so anal from what I've heard. Soaring eagle campground look into them. Camp right on the river and great evening rise right under the bridge! Big old drakes in May!

Back