Good day on the water

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

I had a chance to spend the afternoon fishing with Outsider (AKA Kirk) today. He showed me a beautiful Class A stream in South Eastern PA and it was a near perfect day for fishing. A fair number of caddis were coming off, and there were a few sporadic risers. After a quick lesson from Kirk on wet fly presentation (I learn something new every time), we were into fish and each caught several nice browns. The high point of the day came with Kirk's last fish (below). Considering the small size of this stream i was surprised that such a beast lived there. He caught him on a dryfly with a down stream drift. Unorthodox, but hard to argue with the results!
Mike.
IMAG0400_zpsiyjtkjp8.jpg

Mike, congrats on a good day fishing. Made better by good company, nice looking brownie too.

Yes, fishing dry flies downstream is unorthodox to many, but to me, depending on the situation, it is the norm.

We had a good day Mike, we'll get together soon.

Not sure a downstream dry presentation is unorthodox. It can actually be very effective, depending on the situation.

Nice!! Sounds like today was a great day to fish caddis flies. My dad and I also did well on dries during the peak of the hatch this afternoon.

When they aren't hitting an upstream presentation I typically use a down stream presentation, and for wet flies that's a must. For spot you can't get to any other way it's also productive.

Very nice. Sounds like you guys had a really great day. That is a beautiful brownie.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess it depends on your definition of orthodox ;-) Of course down stream has a place. I think most would agree that a down stream dry fly presentation wouldn't be a first choice, but if under some circumstances it may be the best choice. No need to limit the tools in your toolbox.
Mike.

Back