Furled leaders

Never! But I used to use the Orvis braided leader, it's very good turning over, but when it gets stuck in a tree it's ruined.

I have been using a furled leader on my Tenkara rod with no issues. Even when it gets stuck in trees(which it will!) if you pull it straight it will come down as a crumpled mess but usually pulls out to normal with a bit of patience. I have been using the same leader for 2 years off and on.

I am going to start using them. A good friend of mine always uses then and I used to bust his balls about them till I noticed how fast he can change setups and be back to fishing in no time.

Never used them but may try them. Haven't decided yet.

I use the feather-craft furled power streamer leaders for all of my streamer and night fishing. Those things are damn near indestructible. In May I had a 19" brown wrap one of those leaders around a submerged branch. I hauled in the branch and the fish.

For nymphing and dry fly fishing, i've never used anything other than knotted leaders that I tie.

I have used both braided and furled. Furled is way better, no mist and very delicate for dries. I will never go back.

The reason I asked Afish to do this poll is the Prof and I are leaning to using furled leaders. Pretty radical change for us after 25+ years of fishing with knotted or knotless leaders. The reason I am making the change is actually somewhat age related. My 60 year old eyes and fingers require me to have at least a 1+ inch tag line when I tie the fly on with a clinch knot. If I tie on multiple flies in one day I can pretty much use up the entire section of the first stage on my knotted leader. This then requires the leader to be mended and/or replaced on a regular basis. By using the furled leader I can tie on as much tippet as I want and no longer have to give a darn as to how long my tag lines are. Just seems a cheaper and less aggravating alternative to me. I am really enjoying the posts on this thead as viewing your experiences will no doubt lessen the learning curve I will undertake when I make the switch. I aready read an artice that furled leaders reduces the dreaded "wind knot".

rarely, since I don't use dries much. They're okay for nymphing small or shallow streams, but I prefer my own rigs if I plan on nymphing most of the day.

Fade-

could accomplish the same effect by using tippet rings on a standard knotless leader? or does the design of the furled offer some other advantage you are looking for?

ebroesicke wrote:
Fade-

could accomplish the same effect by using tippet rings on a standard knotless leader? or does the design of the furled offer some other advantage you are looking for?

I will be trying this approach first for me. Hoping one of the booths at Somerset has the rings.

ebroesicke wrote:
Fade-

The other advantage is the strength of the leader. They can last for years. Again cheaper.

I've used them pretty much from the start for me. As a newbie they were easier to turn over and I didn't have to worry about building/repairing leaders at all...just add tippet. This is still nice most of the time.

Main advantages that I see:

1. Durability - Have never had one fail. They will easily last an entire season (or more) if not abused.

2. Cost - Most run around $10-12, but given how long they last, they're usually cost effective over store bought knotless tapered leaders. (Obviously not cost effective over building your own knotted leader though.)

3. Ease of use...everything is loop to loop. Allows much quicker changes of the tippet section.

4. From a functional standpoint, I find them easier to cast and turn over, but that's potentially just personal preference.

5. They do lessen wind knots, although one will still occasionally show up. Because of the multiple individual threads that make up a furled leader they usually don't cinch down on themselves right away, and you can usually get a wind knot out if you notice them quick before any significant tension is put on the line via a snag or hooked fish.

The main disadvantage IMO is (relative) lack of customization potential over building your own leader. Depends on what/how I'm fishing as to whether this matters or not, but I've developed a bit of a hybrid system. I have a couple shorter and less tapered furled leaders in the 4-5' range. I will then add a 12-18" or so section of 2x or 3x to that with a small perfection loop at the end that meets the leader. From there I'll add another 12-18" of 4x or 5x with a standard blood or surgeon's knot and fish off of that. This is how I usually fish dries on little Brookie streams.

With the longer, more tapered furled leaders on bigger streams I still usually just add 18-24" of my desired tippet and start fishing. If I'm streamer fishing for Smallies, I'll just add a piece of 10lb mono and won't have to mess with it all day.

I tie my own knotted leaders and use tippet rings. Works great for me. I see no need to use a furled leader.

I only use furled leaders and like the Blue Sky leaders the best. I use the 5 1/2 ft leader for nymphing and the longer one for dries. I can find no problems with them and change them yearly. I only need to carry 1 extra leader and tippet material, done.

I use furled leaders for everything except steelhead.

I prefer uni-thread, but i have a couple fluorocarbons that are pretty nice too. I usually buy them online from guys on forums, usually $5 or less.

Bought the wood to build a furling jig but just didnt seem to be worth the effort to complete it when one $5 leader can last 2+ years.

Most of mine are around 6' and i will add tippet material if i want them longer, will occasionally add a couple pieces if i am using very small flies.

I love them because you can buy a spool of 330yd mono and make several leaders for $3. I replace mine pretty frequently, because they get kinked from adjusting/readjusting thingamabobbers. You can usually stretch the kink out, but it eventually becomes permenant and then its time to make another leader. I probably replace leaders 3-4 times a year, so they dont last very long for me. Also, I love having a 4' piece of knotless tippet. I felt like I was always running into old knots on the knotted leader and I was constantly tying blood knots stream side. Again, a tippet ring with a knotted leader would maybe save me this hassle, but most knotted leaders dont turn over 4' of tippet as well as a furled leader does.

pwk5017 wrote:
I love them because you can buy a spool of 330yd mono and make several leaders for $3. I replace mine pretty frequently, because they get kinked from adjusting/readjusting thingamabobbers. You can usually stretch the kink out, but it eventually becomes permenant and then its time to make another leader. I probably replace leaders 3-4 times a year, so they dont last very long for me. Also, I love having a 4' piece of knotless tippet. I felt like I was always running into old knots on the knotted leader and I was constantly tying blood knots stream side. Again, a tippet ring with a knotted leader would maybe save me this hassle, but most knotted leaders dont turn over 4' of tippet as well as a furled leader does.
If a knotted leader is made correctly it will turn over 4' of tippet with no problem.

Foxgap239 wrote:

I will be trying this approach first for me. Hoping one of the booths at Somerset has the rings.

J. Stockard has them if you need to order.

ebroesicke wrote:
Foxgap239 wrote:

J. Stockard has them if you need to order.

Info appreciated!

Back