Fun day of creek hoppin'

streamerguy1

streamerguy1

I finally got around to making a new account to work around the PM problem, so I figured I'd start my new "life" on PAFF with a recap of a fishing trip. If any of you have sent me any PM's within the last year or so(they've really been stacking up) I am now able to receive them, so if you'd care to resend them to this account that would be awesome.

Anyways.....

Yesterday my brother and I made a trip out to a bunch of little creeks in the western half of the state. We usually make our first adventure out there around Memorial Day but we got caught up fishing other places plus I did some fishing in Central PA(Spring, Fishing, Penns, brookies......great time) so this trip was put on the back burner.

The first creek we usually fish once a year, sometimes twice. It holds a special place in my heart as it's the stream I caught my first ever wild trout in when I was 13. We didn't tie into anything big but action was pretty consistent. My brother did loose a nice pool boss brown though........can't get em all I guess. Fun time.

IMG_2908_zps502eebc5.jpg

IMG_2846_zps8ee8e4a9.jpg

IMG_2860_zps4b4f6f7a.jpg

IMG_2895_zps9d29464a.jpg

IMG_2871_zpsa7c6c9cb.jpg

We then took a break for lunch. In the afternoon we were originally going to hike up pretty far into another stream but instead we just decided to hop around to a bunch of easy(er) access streams. The second stream we visited is just an average stockie stream, well at least in the section we fished. I managed to pick up one fish pretty easily, lost another, and then we were off to the next creek.

IMG_2921_zpsc507c3d9.jpg

IMG_2920_zps2f9f5531.jpg

Stream #3 I fished very briefly a couple years ago(and got skunked) but I was in a hurry to get somewhere that day and didn't spend much time on it. Yesterday I really wanted to get to know it a little more before writing it off. I don't know much about it other than the fact that it's on the natural reproduction list and I think it may be stocked in its lower reaches.....need to check the list again. We didn't run into any stockies but to my surprise we brought 4 little wild browns to hand, one brookie, and made long-distance-releases on 3 or 4 other small fish. Even though we only caught dinks there were a few pretty deep holes with good cover. We couldn't move a single fish in any of those holes but who knows, they may be holding a lunker or two....

IMG_2938_zpscccd8877.jpg

IMG_2944_zpse2ab1e9a.jpg

IMG_2941_zps6c1d3325.jpg

IMG_2951_zps89593e1b.jpg

The fourth stream we didn't spend a whole lot of time on since the gnats were insane. It can be pretty good for natives the farther up you go but we just stayed close to the vehicle and hooked up with a couple fish. Got one stocker and lost two decent(for the stream) wild brookies...

IMG_2960_zps8954a07a.jpg

The final creek is a pretty short stream and you can fish through the most productive water in a half an hour. Easy little side trip if you want to make a few last minute casts before heading home, and I can always count on a brookie or three there. I first fished it a couple years ago and I think it just recently got added to the natural reproduction list last year. It definitely pays off to explore new streams, even if they aren't on any of the lists.

IMG_2969_zpsccb04048.jpg

IMG_2976_zps613dc028.jpg

After getting some dinner I felt re-energized so of course I had to get a little more fishing in on a local pond before calling it a day. Unlike the trout which happily rose to any dry we threw at them, the bluegills just weren't looking up. They couldn't resist a beadhead green weenie though...

IMG_2980_zps6a8e4aef.jpg

It was a long day yesterday.......but certainly a fun day! Might do it all over again next week, though we might head out deep into the ANF and hit up a few streams out there instead. Good day on the water...

Looks like you guys had a great day... I'm envious. I haven't been out much at all lately. I miss the small stream fishing in PA. Thanks for sharing.

I think I recognize a few of those. :) For sure the first

Thanks guys...

pcray1231, haha yeah just like my last thread a month ago I'm sure you know these streams as well ;-) Pretty sure you knew all of them from my last post, but I dunno about stream #3 on this thread, or the last stream. They're all real close though...

Absolutely beautiful wild bow!!

Nice pics, cool fish, good read. Thanks for sharing!

Back