Fly Reel

R

ryan25rb

I am looking into a new fly reel. But i cannot decide on what i want. So i was hoping you guys could be me a few suggestions on a very good affordable reel. Thanks!!

Which ones have you looked at? Can you be more specific?

i was looking at the sage 1650, ross flystart, redington drift, and the lamson konic.

I have a lamson guru and konic. The konic is a nice reel for the money, but i did have a problem with it last yr. It happened last yr when i was fishing cedar run. Somehow, the reel must have gotten crushed or fell or something, and the edge of the spool bent, which made it rub against the body of the reel. I didn't have any tools and i was up a long dirt road, so i just took a rock and beat the spool until it was no longer rubbing. Luckily that worked for the trip. I bent it back a little more carefully with pliers when i got back to civilization, but if you read the reviews on cabelas a couple other guys have had the same problem. Since then it's been perfect and i've traveled everywhere with it (including air travel). It's super light weight and the drag system is fantastic. Overall, it's still a good reel and i'd recommend buying it, just be careful. One of my fishing buddy's has a ross flystart. It's an ok reel, but i'd take my lamson over it anyday.

Loomis Venture is a nice reel at $100!

I am a fan of Orvis reels. I own the plain Battenkill 3/4 for a 4wt and a mid-arbor on a 5wt. The mid-arbor is a really nice reel - probably more heavily built for the trout I catch but I went overkill on this one for when I use a 6 or 7 wt for smallmouth and or someday if I try steelhead fishing. A freind of mine has the Battenkill Barstock and really likes that one also...

Fly Rod & Reel did an article last year on $130 or so reels in 5wt and the mid arbor got pretty good remarks, but others did also.

There are many, many good trout reels out there...

The last reel I bought was a 5/6 XL Series from Allen and Co. I like it so much, I'm pretty sure my next reel will come from them as well. Inexpensive, machined (not cast) aluminum, and a sweet drag.

The Lamson Konic is a cast aluminum reel, and I've had a number of cast reels from Okuma. Cast aluminum reels are fine until you drop them. If you want a reel to last for years you need to pony-up the extra money for a machined aluminum reel. Just my opinion.

I've just replaced a $1200 reel with a $25 reel, and I don't think I'm going to notice a difference on the trout streams I hang around on.

I have a love affair with reels that I can't explain, but I either want really high end gleaming monstrosities, or Medalists.

There's a certain charm in $10 spare spools and not caring when you smash it against something.

Maybe I'll have someone airbrush it to appeal to my inner dork. If only there was room for a Frank Frazetta wizard and dragon thing, like a 1970s Dodge van.

(Ok, I'm kidding about the Frazetta thing)
(not the airbrushing though, it could use some flames)

I have the ross flystart, great reel and very smooth drag, a good beginners reel

I will secon Allen & Co reels. For the money, you can't find a better reel with more features.

What type of price range are you looking into?

Cableas has a couple of cheap reels for under $60 with decent features and drags. They also have a reel called the "watershed" which is basically a Ross Rhythm. I saw it on sale last week for 129. I have one and it's the same drag as on my Ross Evolutions for at least 200 bucks less.

If you are looking in the 125-150 range, you should check out the Redington Rise or the Battenkill mid-arbor

If you can swing a little more, check out the Loomis Eastfork for 175.

If you want any help finding one, PM me. I just helped my buddy get a Loomis Current reel for 185! Retail was 300 and found a shop in Montanna that was clearing inventory for the upcoming season.

I just checked out the Allen & Co reels and they are very nice looking. which series would you prefer. i really like the Alpha and XL series. And both of them are very affordable. So i would like to hear more about these reels!

FWIW, these guys have some great deals on Abel and Sage reels:
http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/Fly-Reels-On-Sale/c355178/

I have a lot of Ross Reels including a Flystart and I like them all.

I have a lot of Ross Reels including a Flystart and I like them all.

Duplicate message. Sorry.

i have Ross, Lamson and also two of the Allen and company reels and they are really nice reels for the money.

I have an Orvis Mid arbor and a Large arbor. The new Orvis Large arbors havea been redesigned and look a lot like the mid arbor. Of these 2 I like the mid arbor for balance on my 9' 5wt rod. I have had no problems with either reel. I would buy another mid arbor again when I need another reel.

another vote for the ol' medalist. You can even get the somewhat more desirable american made reels on the bay under $30.

im looking for a new reel for my 9ft 5wt rod. any ideas?? (nothing outragously expensive)

Nate,

To someone, a Ross Flycast may be expensive while a Hatch reel is expensive to someone else. What kind of price range are you looking in? < $50, $50-$75, up to $100, up to $150, etc

Back