ferns

k-bob

k-bob

I know nothing about plants. as evidence, I want to hike into a ravine that is steep and in the summer is heavily lined with ferns. makes the hike infernally tough, hard to see the footing. in the summer, the ferns kind of look like the ones here

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/beltzville/

are those ferns? are ferns perennials? I mean, are they less dense this time of year?

They are ferns. They turn brown each fall and the snow compresses them to the ground. New growth has not begun to appear yet, so at worst I would expect to be walking on their flattened to the the ground brown leaves.

Mike

thanks mike

mike: "the snow compresses them to the ground. New growth has not begun to appear yet, so at worst I would expect to be walking on their flattened to the ground brown leaves"

much better than blind steps and high heat in the summer! and your post actually made me feel better about snow :)

The only thing that makes me feel better about the snow is that I'm pretty sure it's gone until 2015! :-D

By the way, some ferns are edible. They're called fiddle heads. They're the immature fronds of what's called ostrich ferns. I first read about them several years ago - on this forum. And was keeping my eyes open for them during my fishing travels - without much luck.
Then finally, last spring, I found some on an island in the delaware river.
And gathered a bunch to try. And they are quite tasty

fiddle heads are eaten a lot in maine. I had them seemed a little bitter to me.

Ferns are perennials that start going dormant in late summer. They grow in every type of soil, some favoring fertile soils while others favor infertile soils. They are a group of plants that deer and other critters don't eat so they indicate impaired forests. They spread by either sending out new growth from the roots or from spores or both. I've never seen them flower, I don't think they do, but maybe the flowers are so small that unless you're looking you won't see them. Ferns should be starting to send up new growth now.

Rhododendron and multiflora rose are infernal.

Ferns are fernal.

I made my fern lined hike today with Foxgap_ as Mike had suggested, the ferns were compressed down by the snow and it was much easier to see the footing.

Back