favorite streamer

R

ryan25rb

im just sitting here at work bored out of my mind and was just curious to what all of you guys favorite streamer was. mine is a black nose dace. i have caught several trout on them before and when nothing seems to work the dace always gets the job done. have any of you guys ever tried throwing a micky finn. i caught trout on them before but never had to much luck with them.

My favorite trout streamer so far has been a black conehead whooly bugger with a stinger hook on it .

i also love the black cone head bugger. i tie mine in i believe it is called pearl chenille. oh well it looks like peacock and christmas tinsel. lol

This is one i started making this year. it looks goofy outside of water but it really looks like a blacknose dace in the water and the marabou really sets the fish off. brookie magnet extreme. Very easy to tie. it is really affective with a barrel swivel in front and a few spit shots to keep it down.(old bait fishing rig)

i know i am going to get bombed about the dinosaur stickers but i cant say no to my 5 year old nephew but let me have it anyway. :lol:

Attachments

• dace.JPG
    dace.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
Big slumpbuster. Yellow chenille and brown or olive pine squirrel/rabbit zonkers.

I like the dace tie you posted, but if it rides upside down like a clouser, I think the black and white should be reversed for a more realistic appearance.

Zoo Cougar

Attachments

• zoo.jpg
    zoo.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 3
IMGP1575-sized.jpg

Oh, how I love Bob Clouser's little contribution to the fly fishing world.. Is there anything it can't catch?

From big ones (I've got 'em in 2/0 for salt) to wee ones (that guy by the quarter is a sz18), they all work and there's not a fish in the world that won't be fooled by it.

Cheap. Easy. Quick. Dead nuts reliable.

Cone head rabbit strip muddler with two layers of lead wire wrapped in the body. Tied on at least a #6 3x long hook. Brown and tan clouser is pretty good too.

Kev

Don't fish them much anymore due to a medical condition known as laziness.

If I do or what I use to fish... Olive/Brown Sculpin, #2-4, 3x shank. If you're going big... go big.

PennKev wrote:
Cone head rabbit strip muddler with two layers of lead wire wrapped in the body. Tied on at least a #6 3x long hook. Brown and tan clouser is pretty good too.

Kev

Kev they call it A Zuddler minnow great bass patern also

Whistler...

Attachments

• P1110195.JPG
    P1110195.JPG
    495.9 KB · Views: 3
sight_nymph_17109 wrote:

If I do or what I use to fish... Olive/Brown Sculpin, #2-4, 3x shank. If you're going big... go kind of big.

I fixed it for ya. :-D

I like em in #2 4xl, articulated.

Kinzua streamer. Basically just a ton of marabou and a mallard flank collar with some flash mixed in. My favorire color to tie is white

Streamers are favorites of mine and, unlike most other types of flies, I use 'em for virtually every FFing application for virtually every type of game fish from brook trout to tarpon.
It's a tough call but I suppose my favorite would be the Clouser Minnow or some variation of it. This fly has likely caught the widest range of fish in both fresh and salt for me. I don't use them much for trout but for bass and salt they're a must have.

A gold krystal bugger is absolutely deadly for me. I've caught almost every major game fish in PA on them. 2nd in line is a shenks minnow in an olive/tan combo. I've caught more 20+" trout on that fly than anything else.

I can see the difference between weighted and unweighted and a 3 inch streamer between a 5 inch streamer but never noticed much of a difference with the colors. Still smashed it. Most strikes were the second it hit the water or 1 or 2 strips. So I guess I really dont have a favorite.

Marabou Muddler. 5263. Olive and brown, with gold tinsel around the body, tied with fire orange thread and lead dumbell eyes-AKA the Wild Mountain Cougar.

beadhead olive/black wooly bugger....when nothing else is working, it's my go to and nearly always catches fish. I've been fishing them tandem lately with a prince nymph on top.

Big weighted ugly streamers with all kinds of moving parts.... hackle, zonkers, rubber legs, marabou, articulated, flash, cones, etc. I'll tie a combination of any or all of these materials and fish them with aggression... Black, Olive, Brown or White. A bit of yellow or red doesn't hurt either.

I also have success with small buggers, muddlers and mickey finns.

Back