Estate sales

geebee

geebee

some people just don't know what they have do they....

This is a table of "tools"

460a5a9c8f316b2dd5a9d51da2205c1b.jpg

clue: left hand side.

and if you blow it up and look real careful, one of those shorter cane tools comes with a spare tip...

old cane tool with a spare tip - hmmm i bet somebody made a score.

did i mention i once wouldn't pay $30 for an "english reel" at an MA flea market ? - i went home and looked it up - it was a Hardy Perfect worth about $600.

and gone when i got back. :cry:

Yellow Funnel?

Old cane rods are very common. 99% of them have little to no value. Most are 70's era rods that are in terrible condition. I see them routinely selling at auctions (I'm a big fan of auctions) for under ten dollars. When a real good rod does appear, thanks to smart phones, iPads, and such, everybody instantly knows the value and they will sell for top dollar. The smart phone ruined the auction scene and is making in roads to the garage sale which is the last bastion of a good deal.

DaveS wrote:
Yellow Funnel?

Peeing in your truck while Chooch drives, without spilling a drop...priceless.

poopdeck wrote: The smart phone ruined the auction scene and is making in roads to the garage sale which is the last bastion of a good deal.
It's only a good deal if it's something of value, not if it's someone else's junk.
I think ebay is where the good stuff goes today, that's why I think you not finding good stuff at yard sales.

poopdeck wrote:
Old cane rods are very common. 99% of them have little to no value. Most are 70's era rods that are in terrible condition. I see them routinely selling at auctions (I'm a big fan of auctions) for under ten dollars.

sure - but i see them often listed as 'fishing poles' or in this case "tools" at Estate Sales.

imho Estate sales are where its at to find that 1%- the local firm are looking at the big ticket items, and just wanna get the house contents sold asap.

I found another one online that was a box of fishing reels $20 - amongst the Zebco reels etc was a fly reel in awful condition but it had a wooden handle - which suggested to me that it was either an old Pflueger or something similar.

unfortunately in both cases the sales were past, but im keeping an eye out for upcoming ones.

Auctions tend to have three types of people in attendance. They are the hoarders, the collectors and the ebayers. Hoarders buy anything as long as its less the two bucks. the collectors over pay for every thing simply because they want it. The vast majority are ebayers. They like to pay 40 to 50% of what they believe they can sell it for. I would venture to guess that a vast amount of items sold on ebay were first bought at an auction, estate sale or garage sale.

I started to attend auctions to cut them out of the picture. I have found great deals on fenwick and st. Croix rods and bait runner reels (under 10 bucks) but those days are few and far between anymore. But I'm still not paying Ebay prices so the deals are still there they just are not the deals they use to be to due to smart phones, tablets, wifi, and 4G.

Back