Dam release

rj32s

rj32s

Hey, Southwestern PA guys.

Quick question. I understand the Army Corp of Engineers release water from the dam pretty regularly starting this time of year. As recently as this past Friday and possibly again this week.

Does anyone know how negatively this affects fishing within a mile or so of the dam? A friend of mine wants to camp in Confluence, PA ( near the dam) and we're concerned the first few days after the water release may be poor for fishing the area.

Thanks for any help, guys. Have a nice day!

The river has been running above normal most of the summer - so I don't think the weekend whitewater releases have been coming into play very much this year. And the large flow increase last week, was simply due to the area getting pounded with heavy rainfall.
With the local forecast calling for dry conditions for the next week or so, I think you'd be OK for fishing there this weekend.
I wouldn't worry too much about it Even if the flow is raised a good bit for some reason, there are plenty of other small stream options around there.

As for how increases affect the fishing - I have been on the river when it's come up a few times. And it does seem to shut down rising activity a bit. But I don't think it would bother subsurface fishing much.

dryflyguy wrote:
As for how increases affect the fishing - I have been on the river when it's come up a few times. And it does seem to shut down rising activity a bit. But I don't think it would bother subsurface fishing much.

I agree. It's been my experience that releases slow the fishing in general and pretty much shuts down dry fly fishing for a half-day or so...

Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate it!!!

The Release was at 1150, has dropped to roughly 900CFS. It is forecast for 800 the next two day, then 600 for Saturday. So the river is falling and might be decent.

Don't believe the USACE forecasted outflow until 6PM Friday. As long as there are rafts to put down river, they (the USACE) will release more water for rafting. Weekend increases in outflow probably won't end till about mid to late October.

WRDA 1988

Page 17 of the link. Whitewater began as a designated purpose of the Yough in 1988. If we ever want to see downstream fishing to be a primary focus of dam release than this language will need to be changed. At the time it was an easy recreation enhancer since the Yough was most likely not considered a decent fishery.

Thanks for the link VCR. It's just my opinion but I've always felt that the USACE treats the fisherman as second class. By that I mean, if you want to fish, they(the USACE)tells you just fish the Tailrace area, it's probably the most heavily stocked piece of water per mile in the state. You fish there and leave the rest of the Yough to the rafting industry. The Yough could be a better fishery, I feel, with steadier flows and not the wild fluctuations on the weekends. The Yough is a fun piece of water but I don't think its a destination water for out of staters. This isn't a dig at the drift boat operators, but for what is charged per boat trip and you and your client have to compete with the rafts and other watercraft, for the same water, at least on weekends, in time it will be a hard sell.

Back