Confused about seasons

JVenezia

JVenezia

I am confused about when the seasons actually end. Approved waters non approved?

Approved trout waters open to fishing and harvest from opening of reg. trout season in April, until February 28 of the next year. Decreased limit from Labor Day through Feb 28. (3 instead of 5)

Non-approved, Class A or whatever else open to fishing ALL YEAR. Just only open to harvest from Regular opener in April until Labor Day. No kill after that.

Hope that helps you. It is made to sound more confusing than it actually is.

The (not so) short version:

The regular trout season on Approved Trout Waters (ATW) ends on Labor day (this is the season when you can harvest five trout); the "extended season" on ATWs continues from Labor Day to Feb 28 (this is when you can harvest up to 3 trout). From 1 March to opening day, what is called "closed season," there is no fishing, including catch and release, allowed on ATWs

For non ATWs including Class A, the regular season is the same as above. For the extended season on non ATWs, however, you must release all trout. During the closed season, you can fish Class A and Wilderness stream sections on a C&R basis.....and it is generally believed that this is true for non ATWs during this time as well (all though there is some debate over this - see other threads on the topic on this forum if you want to study the debate and details).

Thank you both... That does clear it up.
Can't wait to slide down a snow drift and walk a icy creek.

JVenezia wrote:
Thank you both... That does clear it up.
Can't wait to slide down a snow drift and walk a icy creek.

Some of the more enjoyable times to be on the stream, IMHO. Fish are less active but so are the fisherpeople. I particularly enjoy fishing when it is snowing and the world is somewhat muted because the snow is absorbing some of the sound.

salmonoid wrote:
Some of the more enjoyable times to be on the stream, IMHO. Fish are less active but so are the fisherpeople. I particularly enjoy fishing when it is snowing and the world is somewhat muted because the snow is absorbing some of the sound.

Well said sir. Winter fishing is the greatest!

I love winter fishing. I was thinking that January and Feb. seem to be my busiest times on the spring creeks of CV as well. The crowds just aren't there. First time I fished Big Spring, Sal and I had the place to ourselves. 7" of snow, 55 degree water, and no people.

I love it when it is so quiet that you can hear snow flakes hitting tree branches. The cold does not bother me and as much as Autumn scenery is great....Winter scenery is just as photogenic.

Disagree about the scenery, but I completely agree about the silence. I notice that when I'm up at the cabin in the middle of a snow. The sound of snowflakes is almost startling at first.

This is getting ole' Squatch in the holiday spirit!

I totally agree on the winter fishing. Flyfishing has become a year round passion for me. This past winter was the first I really ever targeted trout during the months of January and February and I really enjoyed the solitude of it. I'm sure I will be buying my license right around New Years Day.

C'mon Squatch...be a Yeti. You know this looks awesome ;-)

Attachments

• 397750_4172863089058_1469058202_n.jpg
    397750_4172863089058_1469058202_n.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 544531_4389423302928_1363273191_n.jpg
    544531_4389423302928_1363273191_n.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 4
Love winter trout fishing for all the reasons above.

Looking forward to getting back to my traditional birthday fishing trip on New Years Day, missed the last two :(

eh, gotta go with Squatch here.

Winter scenery - I think a BIG snow is pretty at first. Everything has that rounded, sand dune look to it, untouched, and EVERYTHING is white. But that usually only lasts a few hours. by the time the roads get plowed, the animals track up the woods, the snow falls off the trees and all vertical surfaces, etc., then it's just a mess.

That said, I love the solitude of winter fishing. And yes, the silence that a soft snow cover brings. And that warm feeling you get after being out in the cold all day and going indoors and putting on some warm, comfortable clothes.

The seaon ends the Day after Labor day for all streams except streams open during the extended season and unstocked water. All Unstocked water is closed to harvest during the period from The day after Labor Day until the following opening day. Extend season streams are open from Labor Day until the First of March. They are then closed until Opening Day.
Then there are a few open to year round streams.
All Special Regs. Streams are open year round.

the things i like about winter fishing are the late starts after a hearty breakfast and the fact that every single fish is precious. every one is a bonus.

hot sweet tea back in the van with the heater on and watching the snow fall is pretty special too.

especially with a wee nip of Jamesons in it.

geebee wrote:
the things i like about winter fishing are the late starts after a hearty breakfast and the fact that every single fish is precious. every one is a bonus.

hot sweet tea back in the van with the heater on and watching the snow fall is pretty special too.

All of what he said! :-D

PatrickC wrote:
geebee wrote:

All of what he said! :-D
100% agree! You're making me want it now...

Last year was my first winter fishing. I remember being out in Dec with an easy snowfall and there was just something very peaceful about it even tho I was on a creek that is so often a zoo.

Explored a brookie creek in the Poconos in Jan after a snow and that was a complete disaster, beautiful, but a disaster none the less due to my map reading skills and access points .. amongst a host of other issues.

yeah, winter is not the time to scout. i do that in the summer when its too hot to fish.

In the winter, i never leave the car without a handheld GPS AND my 'phone, plus my torch and a firestarter knife. The car always has a towel, dry clothes, a medivac blanket, torch, shovel etc. in it all winter plus plenty of gas.

another advantage of winter fishing is that the streamside vines/thorns can be navigated more easliy opening up pools that may not have seen a fly all year - and as pointed out on various letort threads, those streams with sodden boggy banks become hard as rock come December.

It's also cool to see the animal tracks in the woods and on the banks and for your footprints to be the only ones on the way back.

Back