Codorus Flies

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Probably going to hit Codorus this weekend, and have some time to do some tying before then. I have had success there in the past with the usual suspects - hares ear soft hackle, BHPT, etc. Any other suggestions on what I should tie? We will probably be fishing the second half of the day, into dusk.

Thanks,

Steve

I always do well with a cdc caddis (16) and PT. scuds work well and as it gets dark throw a bugger or streamer.

Which part of the Codorus? Are you referring to the small trophy trout section near Hanover? If so I fish this stream very often as I live in Hanover. I must say that the most productive fly for me over the years has to be a small pheasant tail. Nothing fancy here a bead a piece of pheasant and peacock hurl for the neck. Some years they just destroy that little fly. Other patterns pink san juan, Sucker spawns, Scuds in green and grey.

Even though bugs are pretty sparse there, dries will catch fish. I like to fish dry droppers with stimulator patterns. There are a few hatches nothing huge but I have been lucky enough to encounter some. But due to the lack of major hatches the stream is almost always all yours and very tranquil.

I had a lot of luck with the Orange ant over the years. Give it a try!

PaulG

I've had a lot of summer success on the Codorus with beetles and ants along the banks. In the faster runs I'll fish a tandem a 16 orange caddis with a midge dropped off the back about 8-10 inches. There's a crap ton of midges in that stream. If you want to target the bigger fish, then a streamer is a must. Trike mentioned the san juan and that is a great choice; also the stimulator in faster water.

Good luck

I'd like to fish this stream at some point in the near future (this fall, for sure). Anyone up for a trip out there!?

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I'd like to fish this stream at some point in the near future (this fall, for sure). Anyone up for a trip out there!?

Maybe we should plan a Lancaster to York trip? I'd be game; I've crossed over the Codorus many times en route to one of our offices, but never stopped to fish..

I caught 4 on tan caddis emerger last evening. One was a three inch brook trout. Until yesterday every fish I caught in the Trophy Trout section was a wild brown.

Thanks for the info guys - I'll let you know how we do.

I caught a 3 inch brown a few weeks ago, it had a odd dark marking on its back, almost like a bruse or deformity.

This afternoon I went out for just under 2 hours (TTP near lake marburg), I caught one 12-14in. brown (pic in the "fish" section of photos) and missed 3. I was fishing two bead head hares ear nymphs. I'd say scuds are a good choice also. I need to tie a few. I haven't had good luck with the midges even though they are everywhere.

i have some flies that work VERY well on the Codorus...

irishlax7 wrote:
share the love

Irish, I think wetfly is busting my balls...he's my neighbor and we haven't fished together for a while. He's actually the one that introduced me to Codorus Creek.

Sasquatch, couldn't do it today, but let me know how you did, if you don't mind. Don't worry, I won't bust you for spot burning!

I drove over this stream all the time on my way to work in Hanover, yet rarely fish it.

Has the posted land been reopened to fishing? I know this stream stays ice cold, even in the middle of summer. I need to do a little more exploring since it's so convenient.

As much as I hate to give anything away about this stream due to the fact that it gets no attention. I will say that access remains the biggest problem. Every year more and more gets posted. My favorite access point was posted off early this year and now there just isn't much stream to fish anymore.

Im not sure what all the issues have been but I know litter was a big one. I also know people not staying on the stream and walking through fields was a big issue also.

Ah gotcha belairsteve. Did you go to codorus? How did you do?

Trike23 I think I know the spot you are reffering to. And I agree about the access and it causes the overcrowding. Right now i know where there is spinning tackle and wads of line in at least 7 trees. We might as well pave the streamside trails with all of the traffic. Plus many fisherman take their dogs. Therefor I can understand the landowner for posting the land. Today, two guys with spinning tackle dropped in and waded accrossed 25 feet upstream of me today. Close enough to spook the fish ?! It's a little too crowded for my taste but it is a beautiful stream thats close to home, and pretty darn good fishing.

I'm hitting Codorus tomorrow morning from 7:30-10:00 or so if anyone is interested in joining me. I know some of the stream, so it will be exploratory to figure out where the open water is.

Back