Closing ?

S

simfective

Heard Cold Spring Anglers is closing soon. What's the skinny. Always liked there shop. Always verry helpful with what was happening on the local streams.

That would be sad, I hate to see any flyshop close. With economics as they are gas prices etc, many folks who would like to buy stuff there, probably shoped online. They did seem like great folks for the business and the sport.

It is sad and must be true. Checked there website last night and there having a closeout sale. Herb and Cathy has done a outstanding deed at supplying fishermen from around the world with there expertise on the CV streams. They will be missed.

WOW, that's surprising! Any one know the reason?

PaulG

The site says the store is closing. Too bad, another decent fly shop bites the dust. My guess is that they were hurt by the big box sporting goods stores opening up in PA (Cabelas & and Bass Pro), and all FF stuff available thru the Internet.

I am as guilty as the next guy for buying a lot of stuff from places other than my local FF shop. Maybe we should all make a concerted effort to support the stores that are left - before it's too late, and the entire sport is either "Walmartized" or only "virtual" fly shops remain to buy from. Ever try to cast a rod from a virtual fly shop?

It's a shame to see an independent shop close, so I'll take this opportunity to plug my favorite shop. Last week I took a busted spool back to the Sporting Gentleman. It was broken due to my stupidity (I dropped the reel on a rock), and I would have paid for a new one. Barry sent it off to Orvis, and let me know that they'd be sending me a new one.

While I was there I tried to find some stripped quills for tying sulfurs. They couldn't find them, so they offered to mail them to me free of charge. You don't get that kind of service at a big box.

I don't even know where cold spring anglers is...its not on the fly shops list on this site...

tomgamber, That would be in Carlisle. www.coldspringanglers.com

Ok, then I've even been there...wonder why its not on the site's list of shops...if know you know of a shop thats not on the list, I'd PM Dave Kile and see if he won't list it. Couldn't hurt.

FWIW...I found this shop's employees less than helpful, not rude but rather didn't seem to care that someone had entered their store. I had just come from my uncles funeral so I don't think it was my appearance. They did give me directions to Yellow Breeches when I asked though. I hate to see any store close but if a store with that kind of proximity to that quality of fishing goes down, it makes you wonder.

i visited they're shop in the summer and like tom said didn't really pay attention until i walked up to the counter with about $65 worth of flies. after that they gave me some good info and a free map of the letort.

Here is my Cold Spring report.........

Back in the day I made sure I stopped in to see what the shop had to offer.......I was done fishing Big Spring Creek.........and on the way home I stopped at the shop........

I found what I wanted: dubbing box and a hook box......at the counter I asked if they had a certain St. Croix fly rod.....the guy states St. Croix does not make a rod like that ( can't remember what it was ) I told the guy they do make it.........guy states, nope...not in the catalog.........they don't make it..........OK.....

He starts to ring me up.........goes, ya know, you can't put hooks in this box, it has holes.........I look at him with a ARE YOU KIDDING ME LOOK on my face.........then looks at the hook box and says..........you could put hooks in this one though...........what a retarded situation............

I have never returned to the shop and that was almost 10 years ago or so.......I was in college at the time.........maybe 97 or 98.....

they are probably good people........but somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day

You two are mirroring my experiences at Cold Spring Anglers and most of my friends. I simply never went back and most certainly would have being its right on the way to Letort and Big Spring and Green Spring for me. It doesnt make me happy but their site would be updated once every 3 mos. and the most enjoyable thing to that place was Ginger, their dog.
Herb was hardly likeable and I'm sure that had as much to do with his closing as his competition. You just wouldn't feel welcome in his store untill you started unfolding twenties. And even then, just barely.

tomgamber wrote:
Ok, then I've even been there...wonder why its not on the site's list of shops...if know you know of a shop thats not on the list, I'd PM Dave Kile and see if he won't list it. Couldn't hurt.

FWIW...I found this shop's employees less than helpful, not rude but rather didn't seem to care that someone had entered their store. I had just come from my uncles funeral so I don't think it was my appearance. They did give me directions to Yellow Breeches when I asked though. I hate to see any store close but if a store with that kind of proximity to that quality of fishing goes down, it makes you wonder.

Had similar experience about two years ago. For a long time I wouldn't patronize them. But on a recent trip to Cumberland County I stopped by for something I needed. This was a different experience. The guys there couldn't have been more helpful and I ended up talking about an hour about local hatches and flies. In the discusion I mentioned that I was looking for some discontinued Ross reels and it turned out they had a few in the back.

So I have mixed emotions about them closing. On the same trip I also stopped by Yellow Breeches Outfitters and they were very helpful as well. Hope they pick up some extra business and stick around.

I feel that if the employees in your local fly shop don't call you buy your name or nickname, when you walk in and ask you how the fishing going than you are not supporting them enough :-D . Ian Barry is good peoples he has helped me out alot in the past year with getting me started in fly fishing..

I agree fredrick, they should absolutely know that well. Because of the time and money that you've invested in that shop as well. It was that way when my local fly shop shut down. Because the guy who ran it (already retired) and the owner retired. Like I said there could be other reasons they are closing...I just don't see how it could be no business when they are spitting distance from awesome water.

Steve and all the employees always have a friendly greeting and say hello with your name, they make you feel welcome (If they know you they remember you)

I suspect that a large part of the reason they are closing is because the days of local fishing information, flies and products being sold through local boutique-type shops are withering. The internet -- eBay, auction sites, online flyshops, Orvis, LL Bean -- as well as the WalMarts, Cabelas and Gander Mountain, etc. have taken and will continue to take their toll. I think there will always be a place for those kinds of smaller shops but the volume of their business is taking a big hit. So, depending on the shop itself and how it's managed, they're either forced to closed down or cut back. It's happening everywhere. It sucks. IMO, in part, we're all to blame. We always tend -- in general -- to go to the best price. Always the best price. Always. :-(

While I may be to blame, is it OK if I don't feel ashamed? A fly shop dealing with today's reality would be wise to strengthen their internet presence and lower their prices, and as neccessary, their overhead.

I second JM's emotion.
This is not new.
Sporting goods and tackle shops have been complaining about big stores as far back as I can remember.Anyway, what day is it?
The ones that survived for the log haul worked hard to make themselves an institution.You almost enjoy paying their prices.First they need to separate themselves from the pack.

Back