Building your own drift boat

N

Nickyboy

Anyone familiar with building their own drift boat here? I am thinking about taking on this project and was wondering if anyone here has already taken a go at building their own.

Sounds like quite a project.. I have about 5% of the skill and tools required to complete this task in a manner that wouldn't be embarrassing (or sink..:)

Anyway, good luck to you!

There are some resources on the net, I think a decent amount of guys build their own out in the NW - these are usually aluminum boats, which wouldn't be all that bad...

I can't imagine it would be cost effective versus buying a used (rigid) drift boat. If you did it yourself you are likely talking pontoons, etc and I would not drop that kind of money into a DYI deal. Buy a used Clacka or Hyde.

I agree with jdaddy here. A wood boat would be awesome, but I'd have to think you'd need some serious skill to pull it off. If you're talking aluminum or glass, just buy used and repair if needed...

For a more comfortable ride, face valve stem down. :)

for longer float trips, I have one that is out of a log skidder. Freakin heavy, but you ride higher.

Attachments

• 750R16_light_truck_inner_tube.jpg
    750R16_light_truck_inner_tube.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
Probably not cost effective, more a matter of personal desire and customization options. If you're thinking is it's cost effective to do so, I say shop around for a good used boat deal.

I'd love to do something like this if I had the time, money, and patience.

But, three strikes... and I'm out. Cool idea, and best of luck if ya do it.

Pretty cost effective in my opinion if you do not figure in time spent on it. Plus you get to customize it however you want. I was looking into building one of my own, look at the kits offered by places like Montana Boat works. Also check out wooden boat people forums.

They have some good looking kits here...
http://www.gregboats.com/

No but I'd love to try it!

Hey pops! Glad you joined the forum!

I'd rent one first to see if you even like using / fishing from one. Secondly, think about towing hitch, lights, trailer, etc. Oars, oarlocks and an anchor will set you back some serious $$. Based on the plans / costs I've seen added to the time to build one, you can get a clack-a-craft used for the same price or less. The used boat will have a trailer, oar, etc and be ready to fish. Just my .02 and you'd have to fish the D and Lehigh a ton to justify a hard side boat.

I might be selling my 2001 Hyde hiside in the near future! I am located in SEPA.

Details sir, details. I am sure this is a great place to advertise.

I still would love to build this. I know we could build this at a cost substantially less than a used Clackacraft. The McKenzie boat available by Tatman Boats is a kit that includes all the precut members, the Glen-L deal is made off design drawings and built around an assembly jig (that you make yourself). The plywood bottom planking and side is all rough pre-cut and planed down to net size after assembly.

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/drifter.html

I built this, and have no doubt I, with your help, could handle the drift boat.

http://www.boatdesigns.com/15-Bass-Boat-bass-fishing-boat/products/276/

Buy a boat and spend your time fishing. Just my opinion...

From a DIY standpoint, it's not very practical. I've given some serious consideration (to the point where I've started creating prototypes in SolidWorks) into that and have run into a few issues, mostly hull construction issues.

The first issue is using wood. It looks awesome, super awesome. But it's a difficult to work with, it's very time consuming, and a lobor of love, which means you have a lot into it. So when you hit a rock and trash your boat, the loss is ten fold.

The second issue with fiberglass is that you need to have a lot of space to work in, and the initial investment of required gear makes it prohibitive if you only want to build one boat.

That being said.... if you want to save a few bucks and like building stuff, kits might be the way to go. You might want to try this if you want a synthetic boat. (note: this isn't a fiberglass hull, they explicitly say so on their site. Not sure if it's better/worse/the same.)

http://www.boulderboatworks.com/drift_boat_kits.php

Or a wood boat.

http://gregboats.com/pages/driftboats.html

Also, perhaps one of our insurance guru's can weigh in on this. I'm pretty sure if you buy a recreational boat, it's covered by your home owners insurance policy. However, if you build your own boat, I have no idea how that works. Might be something to give some serious consideration to incase something happens to you boat and/or the people on it.

It would/should be much more difficult to insure a home built boat versus a factory made one.

It would/should be much more difficult to insure a home built boat versus a factory made one.

Safety / seaworthiness is the reason that you have to register your boat with the state. As long as you build a quality boat, why should it matter whether it was built at home or in a factory?

Back