Building A Landing Net

TLoomis

TLoomis

I know nets can be had for relatively cheap these days, but I am considering building a net to keep me busy. Anybody on here ever do it? It doesnt seem TOO hard. Any tips would be great

http://www.joelwoodworks.com/index_files/page0112.htm

I think jdaddy will be over this. He's good with wood.

You got the link of all links there. Go for it.

You can get Brodin Ghost bags from Brodin very inexpensively.

Think about your materials. Hell ya, cherry and birdseye maple laminated would look awesome but think about the weight. It would not look as cool, but I think genuine mahogany would be the way to go if you wanted a domestic wood that is found in PA. Light weight, bends decently, straight grain, and good with water.

I will end up doing one some day when I have time.

Not sure how it will turn out, but I wove one last year out of some of my live wisteria and I've been letting all the runners grow so that eventually it will fuse together, then I'm gonna seal it up, probably with a diluted solution of weldbond and buy a trout friendly mesh. Maybe it won't work, but most of the labor has been finished for over a year and all I have to do is prune it a bit every few months. I got the idea from a friend who makes walking sticks out of the stuff and his staffs look great.

Boyer

my Father in Law is a pretty good wood worker... I may have to make a suggestion for a new project for him ;-).

I've built a couple and use replacement bags from Cabelas.

Next time you're at wally-world or the like, take a look at their laundry sack section. They're usually white unfortunately, but many are made from that nice soft net material. They would be easy to cut/sew into a shape you'd need.

I built one years ago. Had a local lumber yard rip the hardwood lams for me, steamed them, slapped some Urac 185 glue on them and clamped them to a homemade wooden form. Took longer to made it than it took me to lose it. You can find Urac here.. http://www.nelsonpaint.com/urac-185.html

Back