Broken Rod

TLoomis

TLoomis

Hey guys, I broke the tip top off my 9ft 3wt. Literally, the last half inch of graphite, and then the tip top eye (or whatever its called).

Is there any way to get the graphite/old epoxy out of there, so I can reuse the eye. It is a super clean break, so I m just planning to put some epoxy on there and slide it back on. Would heating it up work?

Thanks
Ty

Got it out with a lighter. Anybody have a suggestion on an epoxy to use??

I've got another rod (that I also broke, but is fixed already) so I am not too worried about ordering something

5 minute epoxy is all you need.

Awesome, thanks

yeah that stuff will do the job, did that fix with an ultralight spinning rod when I broke it in half while fighting a log. three years later and the rod still works as good as ever and has handled a 19" brown trout and some big bass without a problem. You probably won't need to do this since it's only the tip, but I also wrapped some heavy string around the break and put the epoxy over all of it. Just make sure you line up the guides when you put the epoxy on.

I would not use epoxy. The tip top can't be removed again. Use tip top cement that can be melted.

Any clue where to get ahold of some of that?

If you use 5 min epoxy, you can definitely remove it again later! The hardware store variety 5 min epoxy will fail with about the same amount of heat as ferrule/tip-top cement.

If you really want hot-melt ferrule/tip-top cement, some larger sporting goods stores sells it along with other basic rod repair items. Archery shops also carry a suitable hot melt glue.

And then, of course, internet mail order sources are abundant, but you are likely to pay $2.00 for the glue and $7.50 to ship it.

Kev

I did this repair with 5 minute epoxy on my rod. I've been very happy.

missed ya on the stream T, you didn't miss much though...

sucks to hear about the rod but yeah I would use something you can easily remove so maybe watch what kinda epoxy you get into. never hurts to do a little research on the packaging if you choose not to use tip top cement.

Good luck!

Why on Earth would removing it be an issue? 5 minute epoxy, and roughen up the surface of the rod blank w/ some fine sandpaper where the tip top will be glued on to make sure you get a good bond.

I'd trial fit the tip top and tape off the blank below. Then scuff up the blank a smidge and glue it all together.

Tip top glue is usually the same as a clear (yellowish) glue stick. Heat it up roll it on and slide the tip top over it. I keep one and a lighter in my car for just such emergencies. I also have an oversized tip top for a temporary fix to get thru the day. Getting epoxy out of that little tip top tube would be a #OOPS#. I wouldn't use it.

tomitrout wrote:
Why on Earth would removing it be an issue? 5 minute epoxy, and roughen up the surface of the rod blank w/ some fine sandpaper where the tip top will be glued on to make sure you get a good bond.

I'd trial fit the tip top and tape off the blank below. Then scuff up the blank a smidge and glue it all together.

TT has it. Many builders use 5min epoxy for tip tops. Heat will remove the epoxy just like the glue stick so either will work. Follow TT's directions are you will be good-to-go.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to fix it today. I'll let you know how it all goes

I don't know your situation exactly, but many of today's rods have a 25-year or a lifetime guarantee. You may be able to ship the whole rod back and have the company replace the entire rod section. One of the young lions just broke his favorite rod tip, and that's what he's going to do. I have done that a couple of times.

TLoomis wrote:
Any clue where to get ahold of some of that?

Yea. My basement.;-)

It's the same as ferrule cement (used to attach the ferrules on bamboo rods). and it probably is similar enough to hot glue used for crafts, see Tom's response. I don't know, it could be a little harder. the craft stuff is usually not as transparent.

But you probably wouldn't have a problem with using Epoxy unless you plan on breaking it again.;-) Even still you can remove the broken piece with heat and most of the epoxy will come out with the broken piece. If a small amount is left behind, just ream it out a little with a drill bit or whatever.

I think there are 2 types of hot glue, if it is soft and flexable don't use it. I use the soft type to hold my rod guides while I wrap them when building a rod. I use ferrule cement like F.D. said for the tip, you can easily remove it with heat, tip tops can go bad without breaking a rod.

If you can wait, send me your address and I'll cut off a piece for you.

albatross wrote:
I did this repair with 5 minute epoxy on my rod. I've been very happy.

WAIT A MINUTE!!! You've broken a rod before?? :-D

buffalo7 wrote:
I think there are 2 types of hot glue, if it is soft and flexable don't use it. I use the soft type to hold my rod guides while I wrap them when building a rod. I use ferrule cement like F.D. said for the tip, you can easily remove it with heat, tip tops can go bad without breaking a rod.

If you can wait, send me your address and I'll cut off a piece for you.

You know what? I didn't realize the guide glue was different from the ferrule glue. I have some of that too, but never used it. It looked te same, but didn't notice it was softer because it comes in a hard sleeve (like cardboard). I figured when the ferrule glue runs out, I'd use the other. Thanks for the tip (pun intended). I'd imagine the guide glue is useful for the round rods, but not needed on flat sided bamboo. Tape works fine for holding the guides on those until you get the wraps on one end started.

I've never wrapped a round rod, and imagine it could be a pain. I'll find out one of these days. I have an old split bamboo round rod that I will restore some day.

P.S. I was going to offer to send a small piece too, but not sure how much I have.;-)

Farmer Dave,
I heat one guide foot for a couple seconds, then touch the glue stick with it and put it where I want it. I f you need to move the guide you can easily scrape off what little bit you have on the guide and rod with your finger nail.

That high price guide glue is the same stuff as the soft hot glue that I can get at Dollar General stores for about 20 Sticks for a dollar.

Back