Bald eagle takes fish....

It's true

Fished on the Delaware last Saturday. We had an eagle following us around. He kept hovering over us and watching. I thought he was hunting or going to swoop and steal food off the pontoon.

I found out later from a guide that quite a few of the birds have learned it's easy pickins when you follow the fisherman and steal their catch. I guess it's becoming a regular thing for them.

Not hard to believe. When fishing in Alaska, I've seen eagles following the boats waiting for fish.

I've seen ospreys do the same thing. Also have used them (ospreys) to find fish on lakes. Remember, they are much better fishermen than we are. They do it for a living.

Caught a pelican in Florida when it scooped up my trout. Hooks on the plug got stuck in its bill. Just cut the line but what a mess!

Hooked a St. Bernard once as a kid when it gobbled up my Velveeta cheese balls while trout fishing on Canonsburg Lake.

Seen bikerfish lasso and land a dog in a pond without ever hooking the dog. Now that takes skill. Some kind of roll cast I think.

Back