Awesome wild trout trip, with some surprises

streamerguy

streamerguy

Yesterday was probably my last time fishing for wild trout this year, and boy it was an enjoyable last trip. The first stream we fished we caught a bunch of hungry little rainbows. Most of them were small, the biggest was around 5in or so and I lost one that was bigger, but there's just something about catching small wild bows. They're such beautiful fish.

IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9169.jpg

There's this one big pool on this stream that we never caught a fish out of until this May when my brother pulled out a big 17in brown. My first cast into the pool is right infront of that rock ledge, and as my fly sinks down I see a brown maybe 12in swim out from under the rock, check out my fly, then swim right back under! And at the same time that happened my brother catches a small rainbow from the other side of the pool! So much for the pool boss concept, although I still believe in it for the most part.

IMG_9179.jpg

The next stop was a warmwater stream nearby. We got into some little rock bass, some gills, and a few little smallmouths. Even saw a bald eagle fly by which was cool.

IMG_9193.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

After lunch we head over to one of our favorite little brookie streams. In the past we have only caught wild and stocked(for a kids derby) brookies here and one stocked brown, but that was all going to change. My brother's very first cast into the creek he catches a rainbow! It isn't stocked with rainbows, and there's a very slight chance it could be wild, but I think it might be a steelhead(I hope I didn't spot burn).

IMG_9201.jpg

That catch was very unexpected, but the next hole upstream I catch a brown! That's a first for this stream(if it's wild).

IMG_9212.jpg

And a couple holes upstream I catch the biggest native I've gotten out of the stream.

IMG_9208.jpg

Other than those fish the fishing was very slow, and I think the hot and dry summer had something to do with it. We covered maybe another half a mile or more and only caught two other brookies and lost another. In some of the bigger holes though we did come across some bigger fish in the bigger pools. They were very colored up and one of the fish was even paired up with another so we didn't bother them. I was very surprised by seeing those bigger fish.

IMG_9233.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

The fishing wasn't super productive, but this was definitely one of my most enjoyable trips of the year. Catching those beautiful fish, sneaking up on those bigger holes to get a glimpse at those big brookies and snapping a few pics(although most turned out blurry), and the leaves changing colors all made it an awesome day.

Very nice. An that brown is definatly wild.

that big brookie is incredible, and well fed it seems

Nice report. Nothing like a good day of fishing. :)

Thanks guys. That brookie did seem chunkier than most of the ones we've caught in there.

I got a reply back from the PFBC and they said chances are pretty good that bow is a hatchery escapee, and that brown is wild.

Back