Atomic Mites

Nymph-O-Maniac

Nymph-O-Maniac

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/05/hey-fly-guys-theyre-finally-making-powerbait-nymphs

Oh, hell yeah...let me get some popcorn, this is gonna be good...

I love the comments. "If it pisses the flyguys off then it must be good!"

They look like half grown tadpoles...

dunno, seems like a logical path from guys who tie rubber bodied nymphs, with bead heads and nymphskulz (or whatever they're called), jig hooks for flies, etc.

Heck, one of these on the end of a 12' 3wt and an 18' mono leader, and we're fly fishin' now!!!1!

Gfen we can't all be purists like yourself. These are just ripoffs of other rubber wormies, trout magnets maybe? My nymphs aren't rubber bodied, they're vinyl! How long until they come out with floating rubbery insects?

Eff that noise. My flies look better anyways

ow long until they come out with floating rubbery insects?
about 50 years ago-

TUNA wrote:
Gfen we can't all be purists like yourself. These are just ripoffs of other rubber wormies, trout magnets maybe? My nymphs aren't rubber bodied, they're vinyl! How long until they come out with floating rubbery insects?

Now, now. I'm not a purist. I believe in maximum fish catching, coz I'm in it to win it!

Why, I think these are just about perfection. They're the ultimate guide fly. Easy to tie, sink like a tungsten stone, and I bet the fish'll grab on no problem and hold.

Is it the scent that upsets you? I bet we can get a scent-free version for competition usage.

All pot stirring aside, this is where its been going. It really is the logical next step, which is why I'm amused by the idea and hoping everyone goes all up in arms over it. Then I can sit back and, even more arrogantly than usual, say "told ya so."

I'm not a comp guy, I just like to catch lots of trouts. I screw around too much to ever even think about comp fishing. Now that Pete mentions it I do remember seeing Rubber Crickets that are supposed to float, made by Betts I think!?! I agree with yas on this one.

I don't think that meets the definition of a fly by most standards. I don't think you could get away with in in FFO areas.

jdaddy wrote:
I don't think that meets the definition of a fly by most standards. I don't think you could get away with in in FFO areas.

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.

Appears to be a single hook, and components are about the hook. You wanna be technical, someone just needs to put a bit of thread on it and they're 100% in letter of the law.

The use or possession of any natural bait, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded), or any other edible substance is prohibited.

Is it "bait paste" or a similar substance, though? What if I opt for a non-scented version?

So, if these aren't OK, what about those weird little plastic molded stoneflies, etc, I see?

Where's the line?

I think they should just come out and say "Powerbait and like substances."

That would make it much easier to figure out.

I'm still getting some, so my friends won't feel left out when I catch fish on the LJ and they remained skunked. That will show them who is superior!

Back