Atlantic Salmon - this why people fish for em

geebee

geebee

from a guy in Scotland, enjoy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iXwTdVWORs

Mark

Very, very nice. Thanks!

I don't get why they like to drag the fish onto the rocks, I've see that before. The Atlantic's I catch jump like crazy, I'm surprised the fish in that video and another I watched didn't jump very often.
Beautiful fish!

Chaz, Landlocks do seem to jump more but then i've never caught one over 3lbs.

in my experience, male salmon tend to bulldog like a big brown or striper, whereas female salmon jump a lot like bows.

thats a male in the video - before he bolts you just get a glimpse of his kype.

After the first run, I would have been on my horse chasing the fish. Why don't they use big nets for them?

they do most places kray. I look forward to landlock season every year.

Never underestimate the power of those beauties no matter what size.

Millsertime wrote:
Small fish for such a big fight!

so you can imagine what a 13lber does, let alone the holy grail of a 20lb.

The fish was flossed.

The best things about that video-- no talking, no screaming, whooping or hollerin', no stupid music track-- just the sound of rushing water, jumping fish and a screaming reel.

Seems like a very long leader. Maybe the leader tapers to a very light thickness and...therefore took a longtime to land.

Well let's see - I take my 8wt and 10wt up to NY when I go for Salmon - having a 25 minute battle with one is incredible - try that 6 times in a 1/2 day and your arms will ache. I find that if the tippet is to visable, the salmon won't touch my presentation. Store bought leaders I don't like - so I make my own. In the strike zone I will use a 6 lb flouro at most. The ratio of line wt to the salmon wt means you have to wear them out before they wear you out. And just when you think the battle is over, they go screaming off again.

a lot of my leaders will be 12' and longer on some water.

greenghost wrote:
The best things about that video-- no talking, no screaming, whooping or hollerin', no stupid music track-- just the sound of rushing water, jumping fish and a screaming reel.

Now that you mention it I have to agree.

I read that Atlantic Salmon can live up to 13 yrs.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Well let's see - I take my 8wt and 10wt up to NY when I go for Salmon - having a 25 minute battle with one is incredible - try that 6 times in a 1/2 day and your arms will ache. I find that if the tippet is to visable, the salmon won't touch my presentation. Store bought leaders I don't like - so I make my own. In the strike zone I will use a 6 lb flouro at most. The ratio of line wt to the salmon wt means you have to wear them out before they wear you out. And just when you think the battle is over, they go screaming off again.
PennypackFlyer,
The land locks we're talking about don't require a rod heavier then a 6 weight, and I usually use a 4 weight. I've caught them up to 5 lbs. they fight well but you don't big rods for the LL Salmon. However the sea run fish can get as big as 50 lbs in the rivers so you do need bigger equipment.

The land lock salmon in Lake Michigan get bigger than that. I caught one on spinning gear back 20 years ago with 8lb test, it weighed in at 20lbs.

Back