Are these redds?

salmonoid

salmonoid

Take a look at these; I came across these on three different streams on the Erie tribs last weekend. They had fish on them but I always thought that steelhead spawned in the spring. I never gave much credence to the notion of wild steelhead because my Erie experience has only been on Elk and Walnut creeks, and I have a hard time seeing there be a viable population of wild fish on those shale streams. However, the last photo was from a new stream I fished and it has potential for wild fish written all over it.

Attachments

• IMG_1076 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1076 - Copy.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1078 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1078 - Copy.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1093 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1093 - Copy.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 3
If you could, can you pm the name of the creek, it looks like little Elk to me. The last pic looks like a redd.

I was up on 20 mile fri awsome time 1 landed and and about 6 more hook ups. I mainly fished elk before that. It is nice to fish "new" water when going after those big boys!

I think any of those could be redds, but I am not experts enough to say definitively. If there were a paired trout on it, my belief increases. Then again, sometimes the flow and contour of a river/creek make redd-like areas.

I think there is no doubt the steelies spawn in the creeks-- they must. I think there is a low likelihood that many spawn are successful. And by successful, I mean to the point of returning fish to the lake.

Several things hinder a successful spawn as I see it: lack of prime spawning habitat; spate-nature of the watersheds; water temps, unnatural spawn/redd disturbance. Regarding disturbance, I suspect there would be relatively greater success with spawning if thousands of anglers were not marching along and in the creeks throughout the incubation period. But even if left undisturbed, there are not alot of pebble or cobblestone areas. There is a shale "gravel" but it isn't ideal. The water temps is a concern in that the fry cannot remain in the stream throughout the Summer, so they either perish trapped upstream when Summer flows and temps reach critical levels, or are forced out in the lake where they are nothing but little fishes on which bigger fishes feed.

Shame on me, but I don't even look for redds when tromping around the Erie Tribs. That said, I haven't fished many tribs-of-trib, nor any of the miles of water that are posted and not disturbed, particularly in the upper reaches. I imagine if I had the chance to fish rarely used water, I might still be careful in ripping up a perfectly good redd, even though the chance of long-term survival of the eggs/fry is poor.

I saw more than one fish on Redds up there. I also saw a couple digging them out. I've also see them dig redds in March as well.
It sure seemed like 16 had some small wild rainbow last fall before smolts were stocked, but that was last year only with the cooler temps.
Wanted to get your number so we could fish monday, but you were gone by the time I came back through.

Picture #3 sure looks like a redd to me , just a for instance , this time of year on the Yellow Breeches and Big Spring creeks in Cumberland county there are big redds with both brown and rainbows on them that look just like that.

Squaretail wrote:
It sure seemed like 16 had some small wild rainbow last fall before smolts were stocked, but that was last year only with the cooler temps.

There were some smolts stocked in the fall last year.

PennKev wrote:
Squaretail wrote:

There were some smolts stocked in the fall last year.

Yeah, I caught a few upstream of route 20 on Walnut last year.

When they release the smolts up at Erie do they do it upstream and they make their way back to the lake or do they release them directly into the Lake? I talked to a 3CU guy last year who told me about the process but i don't remember that part????

Go fishing in March on the upper stretches of Elk and you will have your answer about where they put the smolts. I am not sure what is more irritating, picking leaves off my fly in October, or smolts in March. But, without that, we have no fishery.

"That thar is the future of the fishery!!!" :-D

You'll definately find redds on the tribs. I've come across several with actively spawning fish this time of year. I doubt much successful reproduction occurs considering the state of those streams, but there's no doubt they attempt to. That's the reason they brave all the lead smacking them in the head on a daily basis and continue to march upstream

There were smolts stocked a 20 mile last year around vets day caught 5 or 6. All around 5 inches long. So they do stock them early. I don't doubt that some naturaly repo. goes on. Nature always finds a way to some extent.

Those look like redds to me but its hard to tell. Steelhead do indeed spawn. What's in question is how successful the eggs are.

Look like redds to me.

The reason the steelhead are heading up the tributaries is to spawn. Why should one be surprised if they are cutting redds? The success rate is another matter.

I am surprised to see them in the fall.

The spring is a different story.

I've been told that fresh hatchery fish will spawn for two falls before that they start to spawn in the spring like the real fish do.

But what does that mean for steelhead that have spent a few years in the lake?

Are the fish really steelhead or are they rainbows from a spring stocking? Where is that those smolt come from in the first place?

They're all Oncorhynchus mykiss with a different life cycle imprinted. I think the migration in and out of big water keeps them on a fall schedule. There are strains that spawn and run in Spring (Manistee Strain?). I understand with the steelhead variety, they would revert to a Spring spawn pattern is they were placed into streams so their entire life cycle remained in the stream. I can't find support for this, but sorta recall reading that somewhere.

My understanding has always been that they run in fall-winter for a spring spawn.

Alpa, I didn't mean to highlight any species difference, but rather the act of running to the lake for a few years. It seems as though it could be significant enough to deviate from what you said.

Back