An apology

R

rrt

You all know how I feel about k/t-s/b. (I still abhor the k/t mercenaries who sell out places for 30 pieces of silver.) But, I am wrong about at least one thing. I have always downplayed the 'streams need friends' rationale. But, this evening I attended a twp. supervisors' meeting b/c a local recreation area and stream are threatened by the re-opening of an old quarry. I don't know if it can be stopped, but about 100 people attended the meeting to oppose this awful quarrying. A good many were local residents who are horrified by the idea, but many more were there to try to protect the recreation area (the Lower Trail, the local rail-to-trail). Juniata Valley Audubon Society President Stan Kotala made an impassioned presentation in opposition to the quarry in an effort to protect the trail, the wildlife in the area, and the fish in the nearby stream. In addition, Bill Anderson, president of the Little Juniata River Association, and Jerry Green, president of the John Kennedy Chapter of TU, were in attendance. None of the mercenary k/t writers, at least 2 who knew about it, were there.
But, as Jack and others have scolded me, the trail and the stream do need friends. If it were a secret place -- as I'd have it -- there would be no one to speak for it. So to Jack and others, whom I have often attacked nastily, I apologize. Your part of the argument telling me that places need friends is true.

Excellent post. It's great when someone is actually willing to make movements in their position based upon real life applications of others points. I hope that you folks are able to make a difference in the impending threat to your community.

"come, hear, uncle john's band, by the river side. Got some things to talk about, here beside the rising tide."

great post... I'll reserve my alcohol induced thoughts for myself.

K/T?

S/B is spot burning, right, but K/T?

Wish I would have known rich I would have been there. I heard talk about maybe opening the old quarry back up but didn't know it was in process.

RRT,
This is a good post. To be honest, I don't think you owe anyone an apology as you've merely argued for a long time a valid point of view about spot burning or whatever one chooses to call it. After all, what is a forum message board if not a forum for folks' opinions? There's plenty of participants on this forum who agree with you and then there are those of us who reside somewhat more in the middle on this particular topic.
Nevertheless, you've obviously given the issue some thought and concluded that there's validity to the other side. Your post here merely proves you're a thinker rather than a true believer.

I agree, no apology needed. But, just to keep our disagreement alive for the future, the "stream needs friends" argument is the least weighty in my view of the arguments in favor of open communications on trout streams. I actually place the most emphasis on the "sharing the joy" plank in my platform.

Sharing the joy requires enjoyment, without joy ther'd be no reason to share. No reason to share means no friends.....what about al the poor streams that don't hold trout, are too shallow to float or do not have trails, they are doomed.

I have always viewed rrt's comments on k/t beyond the scope of the conesquence and more of a "shoot the messanger" type of thing. He always seemed more angry at the outter than what was outted. just my observation.

I think it can be reduced to "he's just angry". :)

i'm not sure these are the same issues.

"friends of a stream" are rarely friends because of a k/t s/b situation. those are acquaintances and they rarely show up when help is needed.

I think that is very wrong and an unproductive attitude to boot. I have written letters on streams I may never see, let alone fish. I think every little bit helps. It SHOULD be the guys and gals that fish a stream 40-50 times a year doing most of the work. It is their bed that is getting feathered afterall.

rrt,

no reason to apologize and good post!

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/264076

Most times its not just anglers that become friends of streams and the surrounding areas.

"friends of a stream" are rarely friends because of a k/t s/b situation. those are acquaintances and they rarely show up when help is needed.

It may be true that the worst of the K&T guys didn't show up personally. But the LJR River Association and TU both showed up. They derive their power from anglers, and as such, their targeted issues are those that are important to their membership.

The more power anglers have collectively, the more voice we all have on all streams. Jack, for instance, says he has written letters about streams he's never seen. Fair enough, I commend him for that. But if Jack had only fished poor quality put and take streams, would he even have remained a fisherman? If he had, would he care much about water quality, being that the only fishing he knows is based not on stream quality, but the number of trout stocked in such a place? And better yet, would Jack have even known there was an issue on those streams if other anglers didn't know about those issues and bring them to his attention?

I'm not saying K&T doesn't hurt a fishery. It can. But it can also be the lesser of two evils. The goal is more anglers total (not just in one spot), and you want them to be anglers who appreciate a quality resource and understand the dangers faced. You make anglers like that by showing them just how much we have to lose, not by sending them after a white truck.

Jack became the way he is not just because someone K&T'd about the specific streams he's protecting. But also because other K&T fishermen in other places either showed him some good streams nearer to him, or at least inspired him to find his own. From there, his intellect is high enough to realize that if he doesn't step up for streams he doesn't know, then when his stream is next on the list, nobody will step up for his stream.

pcray,

I agree completely.

I know some may perceive what I'm about to say as an insult, but griping about K&T, esp. on a fishing site, is boorish behavior at best and selfish at worst. IMO, part of any fishing site's reason for being is to share knowlege, including stream locations, etc. If one chooses not to participate in that exchange, no harm-no foul. But don't knock folks who use the site the way it was meant to be used.

Enjoy the rain. I know I will.

Mike

Back