Allen fly fishing rod preview! A must see for all anglers!

skibo5

skibo5

Not often do I come on here and talk, more of a quick browsing. But I think this is something that I must post! Enjoy

When I was asked by Allen fly fishing to test out some products I was excited beyond belief. For many reasons, 1. I never got to use Fly products before anyone in the world, 2. My rod had just broke and I needed to use one, and 3. Mainly because Allen Fly fishing makes some kick *** products! After you read this review, You may put down a sage rod or orvis for a while and save tons of money for the same performance.

Allen Fly fishing rod… 4 piece, 9ft 5wt

When I received one of the rods that Allen would be selling as one of there 3 series of rods I was ecstatic. After my first cast and reel in of a fish, I was hooked! This is one of the neatest looking fly rods I have ever seen. From the black eyes of the rod with a hint of gold on the inside to the camouflage reel seat, This rod was eye candy for me, and it performed just as well as it looked. Nymphing with this rod was a treat. Throwing mends and roll casting upstream was as easy as it gets. The reel seat is great and looks awesome with a sort of Smokey color. At one point while testing this beast, I looked at my brother and said to him “I don’t want to use my Orvis rod anymore” Now this rod clocks in at a little over 3oz for the 9 foot 5 weight version of the rod which is light enough for me not to want to go lift weights everyday just so I can fish. The power in the rod was great. Casting an Orvis clear water 2 rod valued at $200, as well as a st croix imperial rod also at $200, in my opinion was better then the power in both of those rods. Casting through the wind was very nice and I no longer had to complain about it as I do with my Orvis clearwater 2 rod (which is still a good rod.

Now when receiving this rod I thought that they left a piece out of the bag because there were 2 tip sections that is right 2!
From my talk with Allen fly company, EACH of these fly rods will COME WITH 2 TIP SECTIONS!!!!, absolutely genius. No longer do we have to worry so much about breaking a rod, this is huge, and imo is why ALLEN fly fishing will overtake all of the fly companies, seriously.

Now for the price, For a rod valued at $400usd. You can pick this up off of Allen fly fishing for …….. $90.
That’s right $90, for a rod with excellent performance as well as it coming with 2 tip section! A steal, a must have, a must buy.
So in AUGUST of this year, I will pick up one of these rods at a price that is outrageously low. Hell maybe even 2 of them. Allen fly fishing will have 3 series of rods ranging from 90 to 225 us dollars. With one of the rods competing with a well know light weight rod on the market. Details to be released once prototyping and field testing are done. Please feel free to post any questions about the rod and I will answer as best as possible from my short time spent with it so far. Here are some pics hope i did it right =)

http://www.paflyfish.com/cache/3068_4bf366fbd0212.jpg

http://www.paflyfish.com/cache/3068_4bf36715a61d2.jpg

http://www.paflyfish.com/cache/3068_4bf3671f3afca.jpg

Attachments

• eye.jpg
    eye.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 15
  • GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • reel.jpg
    reel.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 7
Can't wait to see them!

nice wood insert, but that thing crys for sliding bands.

Nice to see the 2 tips, bringing it back old school.

FWIW, I have to say that two uplocking reel seats is a far nicer feature now that I've got it on most of my rods, and that I definatly notice its lack when I use the rods that do not. I would certainly prefer that, or even the current single band, to a set of sliding bands that sure do look nice, but I find a pain in the neck.

Not sure how this affects bottom line, obviously a huge part of launching a product, but I do know that when I bought my last rod, one of the things I didn't like was that it did not have it.

OTOH, it was a low cost rod and I still bought it. It was not a make it or break it feature, in that instance. Just in case you didn't consider it as part of your business plan for this rod, though.

Just a preference but I like a single sliding band with a bottom stopper. All my modern graphite rods are screw uplocking and i much prefer the sliding band. I have a granger colorado special with a single sliding band / downlocking and i never have an issue with it. With my screw uplocking i have issues all the time with line looping around the stem. Could just be me and ineffective line control. I never thought i'd like sliding band but now it's my preference.

Wow awesome! To be honest....Allen is one of my favorite companies right about now. Everything I have dealt with them for has been great, and I plan on getting more from then!

The rods look nicely made. Are all of the guide "single foot"?

all the guides are the same on this model of rod, and I can say I absolutely love it. I have never used single foot guides and the line really flows through them. Adjustments may be made to the rods reel seat adding another lock down type deal. Not sure though.

The Allen website is closed to viewing the rods. Skibo I am curious as to whether you work for Allen given your avatar.

IIRC, he's helping to "test" out their equipment and apprise its value to fishing.

Pro staff, without being pro. Or, I'm assuming not being pro.

(no insult implied or suggested)

Just to give everyone a little info on myself, I do not work for Allen in any way shape or form, I actually just needed a rod and i messaged them and we began talking, and now I am testing products. I have another rod being shipped to me today hopefully. With given permission I will forsure write a review on it and upload some pics. I do not want to release any details without being told so but I can say that the rod will be loved. I am not a pro fisherman, and I am actually just finishing up high school. I have been on the fly for about 6 or 7 years and gathered some secrets by some of pa's finest. I mostly nymph fish and I am trying to master the art. Allens site does not have anything up on rods, because I am about the only one in the world who has some of there rods haha. The rods will come here fast and you will be forced to spend low amounts of money on these ridiculous products. I feel like I am on a rant now but you will see why when you get your hand on one of these rods. Oh and the avatar, I put it up as soon as I used the prototype they sent me. I now have a new favorite company.

I suggest the mods remove this post as you are obviously a pitchman for the company. Allen is getting free advertising through you. You have self admittedly stated you are receiving free product. Your avatar itself is a form of free advertising. Nice try.

Are you kidding me? I am still in high school and I do not get to keep the product I am sending the rod back on Monday. And I just purchased a rod off of them that I will be getting soon. if you really think a 19 year old high school student from PA is working for Allen fly fishing then think again. Even if this was true what is the harm on you people knowing about products early? If it is going to make you happy I will change my avatar.

I also think it is ridiculous you are saying something about it.

If this paypal receipt isnt enough then idk. changed some stuff with xxx cause I really dont want people knowing where I live. It is ridiculous I have to do this in the first place.

Sent to:
Justin
Email:
allen_order@yahoo.com
Amount sent:
-$158.50 USD
Fee amount:
$0.00 USD
Net amount:
-$158.50 USD

Date:
May 9, 2010
Time:
19:37:43 PDT
Completed

Subject:
Justin
Shipping Address:
Mike Skibo
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sharpsville, PA 16150
United States

Oh and your avatar is advertising dogs with top hats so you must work for peta

Not that it's any of your buisness anyway but I believe Allen & Co is one of PAFF sponsors now so I doubt the anyone will mind people discussing their products....ANYWAYS I'm pretty excited for these rods to come out I would like to see if there are testers in my area maybe we could meet up just so I could see some rods and models before purchasing.

Back