Ageing of Fish.

freestoned123

freestoned123

I've always wondered exactlly how you are able to determine the age of salmonoid's. I've done some reading which only really tells me you would have to harvest the fish for further testing. Is there any way you would be able to field test one just by examing lateral lines, fins etc? This past spring fishing one of the many Wild Trout streams in Sullivan County my good friend caught what I think was the largest Native Brook trout I have ever witnessed and would have loved to found out the age of it. Take a look and let me know some input.

Thanks
Freestoned

Attachments

• 260216_198289436888898_100001235280808_604499_7757810_n.jpg
    260216_198289436888898_100001235280808_604499_7757810_n.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 8
That missing nub of a pectoral fin indicated hatchery origin....although it appears to me to have reached a length well over 12" and then lost weight or stopped growing in length while its head still grew.

I'd say if stocked 3 years old. (stocked as a 1.5 year old)

If wild probably 5-6 years old....maybe older.

Good eye Maurice. Is the wild stream you were fishing stocked as well? Nice trout either way.

If it was wild and 6 years old, it is dead now. Could have made a meal of it. This is a purposefully provocative reply.

Tough topic with many variables involved. Attached is a pic. of an indigenous/wild/heritage/native S. Fontinalis (DNA verified). This fish is an old hen of maybe 7 (no, an otolith was not collected as she was released). Notice how 'worn out' she is. Highly unlikely this post spawner made it through the winter in a small freestone stream to reproduce again.

Just a few pointers to keep the post going. I love this stuff and learning from others who may know more! :).

Attachments

• old.JPG
    old.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 4
How was the DNA verification conducted if it was released? A cheek swab? OK, kidding, but I'm confused because I thought you said both things and I didn't know there was a technique to verify origin by DNA without harvesting the trout. As you noted, there is a lot we all can learn here.

Maurice wrote:
...although it appears to me to have reached a length well over 12" and then lost weight or stopped growing in length while its head still grew.

If that fish is 12" long, I've caught plenty of 24" trout!

The average male human hand is 4" wide. Both hands are angles and it hangs off both sides. 12"

11 and 3/4 at best. :cool:

Oh no, here we go again... It's like deja vu, all over again! :D

When brown trout get old, their head starts to turn black. I guess it might be the same for bows and brookies too.

Freestoned,
My guess would be that the fish you're holding is probably about two years old as it appears to be a hatchery fish. A small stream wild fish of that size would (I'd guess) be about four to maybe five years of age. Brook trout aren't long lived fish here in PA. There are browns that I'm convinced are over a decade in age in some of my local waters but I very much doubt a brookie would live that long around here.

It's very difficult to age them. However, in a given stream, you can come to understand year classes and do pretty good. Especially in the "growth" part of the size distribution, they aren't evenly distributed. There may be a bunch at 4 and 7 inches, but very few at 5 1/2, for instance. What you are seeing is year classes.

This is much easier at the 1 and 2 year classes than older fish, though. Older fish grow more slowly as they approach the max size that stream can support, so the spread between year classes is less. Further, they've had a longer time to vary in growth rate based on that fish's diet, holding water, etc. So they all kinda run together.

And another problem is that every stream is different. You can't take what you learn in one stream and apply it to another. A 3 year old in one stream may be 7", but in another, richer stream, the same age fish can be 12". That's why steelhead, for instance, are so big. They aren't older than stream fish. But they grew up in the lake with a HUGE food supply. They're 18 inches at 1 1/2 years old, and 24 inches at 2 1/2 years!!!

In general, in PA, brook trout typically live 3-4 years. A small % probably make it to 5. I'm sure there have been 6 year olds, but they're EXTREMELY rare. In other areas, max age can vary. For instance, in Labrador, 7 year olds aren't all that uncommon.

At a quick look, the head size compared to body size can give you an indication of the fish's age in comparison with body size. A small head and a big body means the fish grew quickly, and it is young for its size compared to average. A big head and small body is an older fish that either has not grown very quickly, or has reached it's max size for the stream.

Some animals' heads never stop getting larger. :cool:

How was the DNA verification conducted if it was released? A cheek swab? OK, kidding, but I'm confused because I thought you said both things and I didn't know there was a technique to verify origin by DNA without harvesting the trout. As you noted, there is a lot we all can learn here.

Jack, I'm sorry you must of misinterpreted of me when I

I think my reply there was to Hookerman. Maybe the reference to "as you noted" was an error on my part. I may have carried that statement from you into my response to Hookerman. If so, read it as "as was noted."

Quote:

Wildtrout2 Wrote:

Good eye Maurice. Is the wild stream you were fishing stocked as well? Nice trout either way.

- Wildtrout2, The stream is the outflow of a popular Pond in the World's End area of Sullivan County. The stream eventually flows into the Little Sock North of Forksville. The thing that gets me here,the fish was caught below the falls which are about 25-30 feet high. Perhaps it made the jump?

Not a biologist, but back aorund 1978/79 I was at NC State and the DNA testing my buddies did on brook trout involved "homogenizing" a whole trout in a blender. 5-10 years ago the NJ brookie DNA sampling used a needle to take a blood sample. Today all they do is take a fin clip. DNA sampling seems to take smaller samples all the time, which helps where the brookies are small

Back