A new trend

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

Lately, I've been seeing a trend towards folks almost appologizing for a trout being a stocker. Yea, I fish for wild trout only, and have no interest otherwise, but I'm not about to sit here and tell others what kind of trout they should be chasing. We all go streamside for the same reason (mostly), so let's be a bit more openminded when we make comment about others. I know it's the internet, but...

I'll be fishing for stockies this weekend, in two states. Yeah I said it!!lol

I'll be fishing stockies this weekend and guess what, "I AM GOING TO USE BAIT!" I'm taking my 5 year old out and we are going to have fun!

wildtrout2 wrote:
Lately, I've been seeing a trend towards folks almost appologizing for a trout being a stocker.

Personally, I haven't noticed this, but I haven't been looking out for it either.....perhaps I've missed the trend(?).

Perhaps it can be explained by the fact that we have a good number of beginner FFers here in our online community and they know (or gradually become aware) of the devotion to wild trout by many of our experienced anglers. After all, one of the first things a beginner FFer who starts reading this forum sees are the multi-page tirades about stocking and how we need to stop doing this over wild fish. As such, they may come to feel that their catching of stocked trout is something of a minor league achievement and they don't wish to draw the disdain of the more experienced guys who target wild fish (or strictly wild "natives") when sharing their happy experiences catching stockies.

Anyway - if this is the reason, they shouldn't apologize. As they grow as anglers their views will, I suspect, become more nuanced and experience will teach them that stocked trout are often more challenging to catch than wild fish (and sometimes even better looking!).

Fish are fish. Personally, I mostly fish in a place or two that don't get stocked so 99% of the fish I catch are wild. Do I thumb my nose at stockies or guys that target them? Nah. Everyone finds their nitche in the trout fishing game.

Will they rise? I will fish for them.

stocky bashing cracks me up,because i usually find it to be far easier to catch wild trout.they know what they are supposed to eat.

I fish for relaxation. Sure I like to catch fish, prefer it to not catching. I'm new enough at this game to find stocked and wild trout equally challenging.

I've been out with my friend Dan, (who is more experienced than I) and have caught fish when he didn't (Both wild and stocked streams). And there have been plenty of times where I handled netting his fish while never setting the hook on one of my own. Seems to me that stocked trout wise up pretty quickly.

Are the fish of either variety able to tell who's on the other end of the line? Sure doesn't seem like it to me.

Enjoy your time on the water, fishing the way and for the fish you prefer. Don't waste time looking down your nose at people who don't share your viewpoint.

Shakey.....

Totally agree!!!!!

I will never intentionally target stockies, but if I happen to catch one it's not the end of the world. To each there own. Some people dont have wild trout streams close enough to fish everyday. I'm lucky enough to love in central pa.

I was never able to understand why anyone would "bash" any fish that was caught, wild or stocked. Stockies tend to save the day at times and have prevented a skunk for me on many occasions. However, as Phish stated, living in central PA does have its perks. This weekend for example, I couldn't buy a stocked fish. I fished 2 creeks, both within 20 mins of Harrisburg. Both are supposed to be primarily stocked fisheries. Easily over 20 fish with only 1 fish being a "stocker" brookie out of Yellow Breeches. 19 out of 20 being wild PA browns? I'll take that any day. However none of these were very large. Biggest being 14.5", which on a hungry day, just may have tried to eat the stocker brookie. Maybe this has to do with the wild trout "knowing what to eat"? Maybe the stockers have mostly all been harvested? There are days when I do get tired of catching 8" wild browns (as pretty as they are), and I'm standing there thinking "Can i get stocker, WTF?". Those stockers put up a nice fight on a 4 weight on 7x tippet! I personally enjoy just going out and catching fish. I learned how to fly fish catching stockies, and will never look down on ANYONE attempting to fool these fish. More often than not, they are MORE selective than wild trout (in my opinion). Whether your a purist who only fishes dries for wild fish, or a beginner tossing buggers for fresh stockers, I'll tip my hat to you. Now on the other hand, harvesting wild fish, when the state stocks streams for a put and take fishery.... That's another topic for another time. My opinion is that if its born in the stream, keep it there dammit!!!!

A good job keeps me in a location that doesn't have wild trout within 70 or 80 miles of home and I am very thankful for stocked trout.

If they didn't put trout in the open sewers and acid mine drainage they call creeks around here it would cut my fishing time by 90%.

i'm glad somebody does!!

i knew this would be a good one. this website is just as entertaining as those reality tv shows.

If given the choice, I will fish for wild fish most times, but I have no beef w/ stockies. This past weekend was the perfect example. Csoult and Wetfly01 headed to Pine on Friday while the rest of us decided to chase wild and natives. We got the skunkin, they had an "epic" day! Our "snobbery" led to our fishing demise (apart from scouting some amazing water that I have no doubt will produce outstanding outings in the near future). Stocked trout definitely have their place. I'm glad they stock streams like Kettle and Pine Creek, though I think Sal had a great point. He said this weekend that they should do what they do in other states, and not allow fishing on certain stream sections during the hottest months.

Fishidiot wrote:
After all, one of the first things a beginner FFer who starts reading this forum sees are the multi-page tirades about stocking and how we need to stop doing this over wild fish.

I dont get it eigther. I have been fishing the same local stream's for over 30 years. They have sections that are stocked and other sections that are not. I still catch alot of wild browns in the stocked sections. So what is the problem??? Stocked fish eating wild fish??? Stocked fish competing with wild fish for food???

Good luck, Tony

Back