"sand springs"

k-bob

k-bob

PA has several streams named "sand springs run" or " sand springs creek." in old books, I have read accounts of cold sand springs - water with sand ? - that gush a foot above the stream when a water is low... anyone ever see such a thing?

I saw sand springs near Sixmile Run, Centre County, pretty far upstream, near the old "Dayton Dam", which has now been removed.

It's just springs coming up in a sandy area. The flow of the spring water coming up through the sand keeps the sand "bubbling."

There's a spring in the head waters of Rauchtown Creek that is called Sand Spring.

There are lots of them all through the trout streams of Central Wisconsin like the Mecan, Pine, White and Tomorrow Rivers. You'll be fishing along and you'll see them along the stream margins, like little hot air poppers that keep a small column of sand in a state of perpetual percolation.

And while I know less about it, it would follow that a lot of the streams of Michigan's Lower Peninsula have them as well. Its the same geology.

I've also seen them, but considerably fewer, on smaller streams in portions of the ANF. Mostly in the upper Mill and Bear Creek watersheds in the Clarion drainage, but also on the SB Tionesta and a few in the Kinzua watershed.

Anywhere where the prevailing surface geology is sand and as a result, sand substrate dominates the streams.

There's a Sand Spring in Hickory Run State Park, couldn't find my photos of it

The early season wet springs that so entranced me as a youngster: they boiled up through a hole somewhere: they would be boiling through a sand bed. The soluble stuff was washed away leaving sand from the sandstone deposits that made up the bedrock.

I have read about sand springs on one stream, and noticed springs marked along it on an old usgs map. I wonder how big a spring has to be appear on an old usgs topo? remote area, may try I hike in when I can look for some fish in there.

The Lake at Boiling Springs has 'em.

There are a few little ones in the headwaters of Clark's and at roughly the same area the next valley to the south. Both areas are known by the locals as "sand spring".

Boyer

Back