"Hey Wally, where's the Beav?"

krayfish

krayfish

Just a reminder that we share the land / water. We are actually guests in their house. Expect the unexpected. I've had a run in or two with them but haven't been attacked......yet

Online story:

(Newser) – More proof that beavers are scarier than sharks: A kayaker in Upstate New York was hospitalized after being attacked by a beaver in Irondequoit Creek last week. Michael Cavanaugh was knocked into the water when the beaver jumped out of the creek and started mauling him, biting him on his back and arm. "I heard my name called out from the shop and I ran out the door to see a guy getting pulled into the water," a trainer at BayCreek Paddling Center tells WHAM. "It was like watching a horror film." Cavanaugh was able to get to the dock, but the beaver wouldn't let go, so the trainer started hitting him with a paddle until the paddle broke and the beaver finally retreated.

"He kind of disappeared for a few seconds but came back up so I hit him again," the trainer says. "It's absolutely first of a kind," says the paddling center's owner, adding that "the beaver was upset for some reason, we don't know." Cavanaugh is being treated for rabies as a precaution—experts say beaver attacks on humans are rare, and most are either a result of rabies or a beaver trying to protect its offspring. "Though the event was scary I haven't felt much in the way of traumatic emotional reactions which I'm thankful for," says Cavanaugh in a statement. The beaver's carcass was found, and is being tested for rabies. Also last week, a couple in New Jersey say they were attacked by a beaver while walking by Lake Surprise, the Star-Ledger reports. The 40-pound animal chased them with teeth bared, they say, but finally retreated back to the water after almost biting the husband.

I was wading the Allegheny a year ago and there was one swimming parallel to the bank right at me. I stood my ground for awhile til it got a few feet away. Then I backed away. The beav never broke stride. Just kept cruising like I wasn't even there. I will bite a beaver back though if it starts anything. I bit Donnie Beaver once just on principle.

I thought this was gonna be about another Beave!

The most frightening experience I ever had on a stream was with a beaver. I never even saw it. I heard the tail slap the water (which in and of itself scared the **** out of me), and then I see a big black shape in the water swim right by my legs, not 12" away. Too close for comfort!

Jesus thats nuts!

Nature at it's finest...must be the water.

Was waiting for another anti-beav thread...

this is why we can't have nice things.

Watched it and then saw "nymph official trailer". Thought it might have been from fly fishing film tour....nope. lmao

Both contained some nice talent.

Sorry if I let you guys down by not having a Don Beaver angle to the post. This was a legit beaver story though.

I was fishing a lake in the Adirondacks one time with a friend and had a beaver intentionally approach me from a distance. It got probably about ten feet away and was looking right at me. I actually pulled my knife, half jokingly, but also because i was a little scared it might keep coming. It eventually backed off and we had a good laugh about it.

krayfish wrote:
Watched it and then saw "nymph official trailer". Thought it might have been from fly fishing film tour....nope. lmao

Nice...oddly enough, that's the only reason I found that video the other day. I watched something else (just as stupid I'm sure), and the title popped up at the end...obviously I had to watch it.

As far as actual encounters, I've got nothing. No actual content from me on this thread...

Am I the only one who found the "zombeavers" trailer halarious? Lol

yes.

I found it terrifying, totally.

What's terrifying is the thread below this one shows "zombie trout" :-o

We're all doomed.

The most frightening experience I ever had on a stream was with a beaver. I never even saw it. I heard the tail slap the water (which in and of itself scared the **** out of me), and then I see a big black shape in the water swim right by my legs, not 12" away. Too close for comfort!

I'm just going to have to go ahead and agree with Phil Robertson on beavers... don't like 'em!

I've had several encounters over several years.

I was at the community park in New Cumberland (Yellow Breeches) and thought there was a dog walking. It looked like a black snowman waddling…tiny head, bigger mid section, big butt. It then jumped in the water and swam away.

A much closer series of encounters occurred on the Conodoquinet. On one of 3 encounters I was using spinning gear and threw a plug and a beaver surfaced 5 feet short of were I had cast. swam towards me and slapped its tail 10 ft away.

I have photos of the same beaver which swam within 15 ft as I took pics…

I am honestly more concerned with SNAPPERS

Attachments

• P4250014_R.jpg
    P4250014_R.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P4250016_R.jpg
    P4250016_R.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
I'm terrified of snapping turtles. Always afraid I'm going to step on one and it'll bite my leg off (unrealistic, obviously). Killer snappers?

Wet wading the Susquehanna as kids we could all but guarantee a reaction from any of our buddies by simply saying "Yo, snapper heading your way!". We all knew for years that whoever called it out was just screwing with us, but couldn't not freak out anyhow. The irony of it is, that in my observations, snappers are way more docile in the water than the are on land, but it's just so easy to picture the clamped onto your Achilles tendon. Beaver on the other hand seem to delight in getting close enough to make you nervous, and I'm nearly certain try to get as close as they can undetected to make you **** your waders with that tail slap.

Boyer

I had multiple encounters with beavers circling my kayak and slapping their tails while fishing the lagoons on Presque Isle, Erie. They are some of the biggest beavers I have ever seen. If I had read this first, I would have probably taken them more seriously. The tail slaps are loud like gunshots.

squatch, I had that exact same experience in Potter County... I was also concealed carry at the time in case of bears and the mountain women.
It all happened so fast though, he slapped his tail on the water within arms reach behind me, dove under and swam by. I let out a loud stuttering "BEAVER, it it it was just a b b beaver!" to try to calm myself down. I never had a chance to think about reaching for the pistol.
I would have been a gonner if it was a momma bear or a toothless woman.

Haha! The chances of getting attacked by a toothless mountain woman are probably greater than being attacked by a momma bear up there!

Beavers always concerned me, even before reading this article.I see what those chompers can do to a tree, I don't want to find out what they can do to my sultry, supple legs!

Back