? Hunting Orange

Deuterium

Deuterium

When you are fishing, especially in places like State Game Lands, during hunting season, do you wear some hunting orange? If so, what do you wear?

I think this is the regulation for Pennsylvania hunters:

All fall small game, turkey, bear and deer hunters during the regular firearm deer season, and special archery deer season hunters during any portion of the archery season that coincides with the general small game or turkey seasons, must wear at least 250 square inches of hunter orange material on the head, chest and back combined. Spring turkey hunters must wear a minimum of 100 square inches of hunter orange on the head or back and chest while moving from one location to another. Groundhog hunters must wear 100 square inches of hunter orange on the head. All required hunter orange must be visible in a 360 degree arc. (Exceptions waterfowl, mourning dove, crow, flintlock deer season and archery season hunters except as specified.)

I usually do (at least a hat).

I think you may be required to meet the minimum orange requirement even if you are not hunting when you are on State game lands during hunting season. Required or not I bought an orange Mossy Oak ball cap in Wally World a few years ago that I wear.

My new sling pack is bright red...I probably should wear more than that though. Admittedly I try to avoid SGL streams this time of year for that reason though.

I ran in to two guys in their tree stands this past weekend as I was working up a stream (not on SGL). The one guy asked if I was catching anything, and startled me pretty good...I had no clue they were there. I felt bad and apologized, but they were both nice. I turned around and hiked out. There were no cars in the area I parked (the easiest and most practical way into this area) so I assumed no one was up there...they must have hiked in downhill from a nearby interstate.

This time of year if I see any vehicles along a SGL stream I fish, I assume it's hunters and move on. They were there first, and I try to respect that and not mess up their hunt, even if we are after different things. In turn I hope I'd get the same respect from them if they saw my vehicle there first. Not to mention a 4 wt doesn't stand a chance against a rifle or bow in the event of a sour confrontation.

Ever since I noticed a hunter behind a pine tree while on the Tully I wear an orange ballcap during the cooler months. Better safe than sorry.

I usually don't. Most hunters aren't watching the stream.

I could see the need in rifle season just so the hunters know there's someone way off in that general direction. But typically, the only time I fish in rifle season is steelhead, and I think it's less important there as hunters should EXPECT there to be fishermen near any stream.

For anything hunted with shotgun or archery, then the effective range of the weapon is pretty small. The unintended "stray" shot is no longer an issue. The only thing you gotta be worried about is being misidentified as game and being intentionally shot.

Turkey - yeah, probably best to wear orange if it's somewhere you gotta hike in. If no hiking involved, or your always near major trails and such (like the Tully), then I wouldn't worry about it. Don't go sneaking up on calling turkeys tryin to get a peak!

Archery - Just don't wear deer brown, and I think you're good.

Small game - no issue at all.

First their is no requirment that states you have to wear orange during hunting season (unless you are hunting) however it is probably a good idea .
Being an arrow slinger myself I know I would want to be seen if I was out for a little fun on the stream . Mainly because its a strange feeling to know that someone had thought that movement which was you was something to shoot.
An orange hat normally will do the trick and since you need a place for a license anyway it cannot hurt.

I fished Bowman's Creek in the SGL last deer season and made sure I wore a blaze orange hat. Just seems like a real good idea, even if not required.

I wear an orange vest this time of year... Is it archery deer season in the poconos?

I wear orange, at least the minimum. But the regs have changed so much the past few years I'm not sure of the requirement. As the signs say, hunters wear orange, you should too! I think it's foolish not to, but then that's me. I stay out of the SGL's during rifle deer season.
Pcray, did you ever hear of duck hunting, plenty of hunters hike the creeks hunting ducks, especially woodys.

I keep a headband/old sweatshirt collar in my bag that I put on my hat. I also have the blaze orange sweatshirt too that will fit over outterwear and under my chest pack. I figure enough of my orange arms and head will alert the kooks in the woods shooting animals.

pcray1231 wrote:
I usually don't. Most hunters aren't watching the stream.

I could see the need in rifle season just so the hunters know there's someone way off in that general direction. But typically, the only time I fish in rifle season is steelhead, and I think it's less important there as hunters should EXPECT there to be fishermen near any stream.

For anything hunted with shotgun or archery, then the effective range of the weapon is pretty small. The unintended "stray" shot is no longer an issue. The only thing you gotta be worried about is being misidentified as game and being intentionally shot.

Turkey - yeah, probably best to wear orange if it's somewhere you gotta hike in. If no hiking involved, or your always near major trails and such (like the Tully), then I wouldn't worry about it. Don't go sneaking up on calling turkeys tryin to get a peak!

Archery - Just don't wear deer brown, and I think you're good.

Small game - no issue at all.

Just like there are people who fish that have to strut their limit of 6" wild brook trout around and generally give fisherpeople a bad name, there are hunters who take a pop at all things that move. I think that if you're on a hunter's turf, they should EXPECT that YOU will do what it takes to be seen.. I guess I'd rather gamble on me wearing orange and them seeing me, vs. me not wearing orange and me hoping they see me..

Every time I fish during archery season, I often wonder what it would be like to have an archer arrow you down, by accident, and wonder if I'm a mile into the woods and the shot wasn't fatal, could I make it out? Would the archer help me or freak out and run away? Had that eerie thought tonight but I managed to dodge the arrow :)

I often worry about groundhog hunters in the summer. I know a few creeks that have hog hunters during the summer months. I often wear a orange hat in those areas. My tiny little gray/brown head poking around the weeds makes a fine target.

Rifle deer season I always wear a orange hat.

beeber2 wrote:
Ever since I noticed a hunter behind a pine tree while on the Tully I wear an orange ballcap during the cooler months. Better safe than sorry.

Where was this?

I just wear my vest.... I know nothing about hunting, but maybe people can use crossbows now that its archery season?

Well upstream of Reebers.

quillfly wrote:
First their is no requirment that states you have to wear orange during hunting season (unless you are hunting) however it is probably a good idea .
Being an arrow slinger myself I know I would want to be seen if I was out for a little fun on the stream . Mainly because its a strange feeling to know that someone had thought that movement which was you was something to shoot.
An orange hat normally will do the trick and since you need a place for a license anyway it cannot hurt.

Yes, you MUST wear orange if you are not hunting and are on State Game lands between Nov. 15 & Dec. 15th.

I don't but I should. I do get the hell out of the woods if I hear gunfire close, though. Hopefully, the first shot I hear isn't followed by a piercing heat and pain or immediate darkness.

I don't worry about it much in bow season, I do wear some in Rifle season.

PaulG

retraction

Dang new regs yea should have crack open the book again this year still only a hat from nov.15 to dec.15
lesson learned
repeat you need a orange hat on game lands from november 15 to december 15

Back