Valley Creek

Joe062484

Joe062484

I was fishing at valley creek on Saturday, June 16th and managed to catch a few trout on bird of prey caddis nymphs... Around midday I saw trout rising, but couldn't figure out what they were eating and they weren't interested in any of the dry flies that I through at them. Any ideas as to what they might have been eating?

That was my thought, unfortunately I don't have any midges in my fly box! Looks like I need to change that! Thanks, Phil!

Since many people curse midges...I'm not sure if I did you any favors haha
If I'm in the mood for midges, I prefer a small parachute with no tails. #22 grey body, grizzly hackle would be a general go-to. There's all these names like "I can see it" midge (ICSI) and Hi-vis midge etc...but there all pretty much small parachutes with a fancy name...
Also, Al's rat...

Terrestrials should be going already or anytime now as well

Cool! Thanks for the info, I don't know about midges, so this helps. I had a lot of luck on grasshoppers late last summer and into the fall, tried them on Saturday, but I think it's still a bit too early for them. I did have one hit on ant though.

terrestrials?

If I can't see what they're taking I always try a midge and 9x out of 10 I catch a fish.

Midges!

Try using cream colored. I find them a little bit easier to see.

Back