Mayfly ID

SSChevyManiac

SSChevyManiac

946694_10151506283608860_1010289528_n.jpg

Saw this little guy on my bulldozer blade at work today. Three tails. Anyone care to educate me?

Size?

Looks like a sulpher to me. Likely dorothea.

Sorry duh size is key. It was 14-12.

Looks like a Sulphur, but I suck with bugs...

hmm, that makes things tougher. So not little guy at all, big guy! I didn't expect that.

How about something in the anthopotamus genus (distinctus, myops, etc)? (golden drakes).

Maybe Potomanthus spinner. It's a fly I used to see a lot of on Penns Creek many years back. Haven't seen one around ten years.

Thats true, little guy was in reference to the rest of the world. I really have no idea what it was. I was in Carbon county about 300 yards from the Lehigh.

PCray and PENZZ win the prize! Except PENZZ's nomenclature is old. The genus has been changed to Anthopotamus. Hard to tell species from the photo. Maybe A. distinctus. One of my favorites though. Here is a link to some more photos that I took last year. Troutnut

Found one of those on my grill today. Size 12-14. I don't know what they are I just call them sulphers. Just a touch of light yellow on it and little bit of peachy color in spots

I'm within walking distance of Conewago Creek in York Co.

Attachments

• IMG_20130606_112057-1.jpg
    IMG_20130606_112057-1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 3
See, I think the OP image is a dun. Jakes has the spinner!

I really wasn't into capturing and photographing insects years ago. My recollection of the (then Potomanthus) was that the dun wings were very opaque as it was lumbering off the water's surface. It's likely PC is correct.
Jeff

Thank you all, thats why I love this site.

OP male, newest post female, both spinners. This is my guess.

Back