Fish fly

sandfly

sandfly

Species: Nigronia fasciata
Family: Corydalidae

Subfamily: Chauliodinae

Length: typically about 22-28 mm

Range

Eastern North America. N. serricoris is widespread. N. fasciatus is widespread, but absent from the upper Midwest and southern Canada.

Habitat

Streams and nearby vegetation. N. fasciatus is restricted more to small streams with very good water quality (1).

Season

Spring--May at lower elevations in North Carolina, May-July at higher elevations

Attachments

• 5-30-07 056.jpg
    5-30-07 056.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 6
An alderfly you dripped nail polish on?

that's a fishfly.

midnight got it pm your addy and I'll send them off..
oh and jack I used cure-goo for it ..

Any chance someone can update the subject with the correct ID?

Correct ID ???? Go ahead..

You said midnight got it right, so I'm asking if someone can edit the title now that your contest is over. Relax, big guy. Nobody is challenging you.

Your title is not useful for anyone that wants to utilize this forum as a resource in the future, myself included.

I know it as a fish fly. I think it's got a more technical name though.

Species: Nigronia fasciata
Family: Corydalidae

Subfamily: Chauliodinae

Length: typically about 22-28 mm

Range

Eastern North America. N. serricoris is widespread. N. fasciatus is widespread, but absent from the upper Midwest and southern Canada.

Habitat

Streams and nearby vegetation. N. fasciatus is restricted more to small streams with very good water quality (1).

Season

Spring--May at lower elevations in North Carolina, May-July at higher elevations

So is Fish Fly the same as Dobsonfly? Or is that a different critter?

Morning!!! I have to agree with JayL. I think this section is a great idea and as a relative newbie I'd like to learn the real names of the bugs I'm trying to tye. Lets not get into any pissing match. Please lets work together. Im very fascinated about learning BUGS!!!

Keep them coming!!

I see the correction was made. The thing is that the forum is going to require a lot of moderator activity to become useful and we are trying to work out that matter. Keep posting the information and be patient. I do believe we should adopt a convention, though, that if you are posting to pass on a definitive ID of a bug, you should try to identify it in the tile by common name and if you wish, also taxonomical/scientific name.

dobson fly is related.
Species Corydalus cornutus

Habitat

Near fast-flowing streams. Attracted to lights.

Season

Late spring-early fall (adults). June-September (North Carolina)

Food

Adults likely do not feed.

Life Cycle

Eggs laid in masses of 100-1,000 on rocks (or vegetation) above the waterline of streams. Larvae drop, or crawl into water. Larvae aquatic predators, live in streams. Two-three years are spent in larval stage, at end of this time larvae crawl out of stream and form pupal cell under log, rock, etc. and overwinter. Adults emerge spring to summer.

The huge mandibles of the males are used to grasp the females during mating. The females, with much smaller jaws, can apparently bite more effectively. Although neither male nor female feed in the adult stage, they may use their mandibles for self-defense.

Back