Winston WT 4-wt (or "I hate waiting")

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

A few months back, I posted a thread on here asking about rod options in the $800 range so that I could spoil myself with something nice come tax season. The discussion was lengthy and lively, and I got a myriad of opinions on the issue. In the end, I came up with a hybrid answer to the question assembled from the opinions posted combined with a casting session at a mom-and-pop shop called "Fisherman's Spot" in Van Nuys, Claifornia (incredible service there, by the way, if you ever need to order out of state from an authorized Winston dealer).

Well, tax time is here, my return is filed, and my rod was ordered about a month back. I got the call from the fly shop yesterday, informing me that Winston WT, 3-piece, 4-wt. fly rod is complete and en route to my front door. I had to have it special ordered and built since, at the time, these were no longer actually in stock at Winston. This will be my first dry fly-specialized rod and the only rod I own in this price point. I'll post pics when it gets in.

The mountain streams out here can't thaw soon enough! Did I mention that I hate waiting?

Great choice. There is not a bad rod in the WT series. Is it the 9' three piece 4wt?

Thanks! I went with the 8' version. I find myself cursing trees above all else whenever I go longer than 8'6", and even then I could stand a shade shorter for a dry fly rod.

You'll be pleased with the winston for sure. I own a few of the LT5 rods and that are very accurate when casting dries. I also own several sage zaxis and "one" rods in which I love. The important thing is casting rods before purchase. Many people buy a rod before casting...

That's what I got pounded on around here when I even mentioned the idea of spending the kind of money I did on this rod without casting it. Folks insisted that I find a shop and try one first. It took a long/4-hour drive to California from here in Las Vegas to do it, but I did.

It sucks having to haul it that far just to test cast, but it is what it is and in the end I'm glad that I did. The differences I found between rods, even from the same manufacturer and series can be so different from weight-to-weight or even 2 vs. 3 vs. 4-piece setups. The shop I ultimately drove to was the closest Winston dealer to me, though I did check out one other a similar distance away, also in CA. I went with the shop that I did was because they knew I was driving a very long way to get there and they made sure I had a ton of rods set up to try. I can't say enough good things about Ken and his staff at Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys, CA. They really went the distance for me and I told Ken as much went he called to tell me my order was shipping.

It just got here on the UPS truck a couple of hours ago. Definitely looks every bit a well-crafted, custom built rod. It's going to be a long wait to finally cast this puppy in some mountain water, but it'll be worth it.

WinstonWT-grip_zpsd34fcebd.jpg

WinstonWT-reelseat_zps5ba950b8.jpg

WinstonWT-marking_zpse5b54d9d.jpg

WinstonWT-insignia_zps3e5e1a31.jpg

WinstonWT-guide_zps3b1d270e.jpg

Christmas in February!!!

Looks great. Enjoy and I think you went about the whole process correctly. Can't wait to get out there can ya? When my last rod came, I was out in sub zero wind chills casting it in the dark. Turns you into to a kid all over again.

Thanks, fellas! Yeah, it's murder not being anywhere close to water right now to try this rod in. It's a dry fly specialized rig, so I really want to give it its due when the condition final open up. Gotta say though, I'm not beneath throwing some small nymphs with it if I get the chance.

How does it feel/balance with the ULA reel?
And whatcha got planned for that deer hide?

Yo Six - I have that exact rod, and you are a ffisher of very good taste. Although I too casted my 8' #4 3p WT before I bought it, I wasn't nearly so perspicacious as you in the search. The deed was done at Eyler's in Bryn Mawr, and I thought there would be no harm in taking them up on the offer to cast it. I already had double digits in RLW (cane, glass, plastic) and I do love them. They are my favorite production rod maker. I also already had dozens of 4 weights, and quite a few were 8'.

Soooo - I cast that stick, and I just had to have it.

It's a great casting and catching (not the same attribute) tool.

gutcutter wrote:
How does it feel/balance with the ULA reel?
And whatcha got planned for that deer hide?

It's wee bit front-heavy with the ULA Force SL reel, but I'll gladly trade some balance for overall weight savings where I fish. Out here, the Rocky Mountains aren't any less steep in the places you're fishing and any weight savings are welcome when you're hiking and fishing simultaneously.

As for that mule deer hide, it's already been put to good use in the field. Since that buck that I shot had a good winter coat on him, I had it professionally tanned to use it to sit on when forced to sit or lay on the ground during cold weather hunts. It did wonders to keep me warm during my Colorado cow elk hunt this past December when it was -7 degrees F and I was sitting on the frozen ground.

ColoradoCowelk-8Dec2013-resized_zpsd17dc3de.jpg

lestrout wrote:
Yo Six - I have that exact rod, and you are a ffisher of very good taste. Although I too casted my 8' #4 3p WT before I bought it, I wasn't nearly so perspicacious as you in the search. The deed was done at Eyler's in Bryn Mawr, and I thought there would be no harm in taking them up on the offer to cast it. I already had double digits in RLW (cane, glass, plastic) and I do love them. They are my favorite production rod maker. I also already had dozens of 4 weights, and quite a few were 8'.

Soooo - I cast that stick, and I just had to have it.

It's a great casting and catching (not the same attribute) tool.

This is my first Winston, but I'm willing to bet it won't be my last. Sounds like you love your as much as I think I'm going to love mine. I'm willing to bet that casting it sealed the deal for you, too. The accuracy with this rod stood out above all else and that's what ultimately sold me on it. It's crazy though: shortly after I decided on this rod, Winston stopped producing it for their standard catalog offering. I was curious as to why none were immediately available and found out that the WT series is now a custom shop-only offering, hence the 4-week delay. It apparently had to be built up from scratch.

I wish I didn't have to think so hard when it came to buying this rod, but it is what it is when you live in the desert but want to fish the mountains. There isn't a legit, fly-specialized shop for hundreds of miles. You wanna cast? Get your gas budget warmed up along with the car.

On a different note, there is potentially good news from Circle Valley Anglers in Circleville, Utah: the ice up northeast of me in south central Utah has backed off considerably and the East Fork of the Sevier River is apparently worth fishing. I may make the drive tomorrow, stay the night and get to fish this rod Saturday morning.

That rod should be perfect for se utah. I've fished that area in September a couple of times. Lots of fun with hoppers.

moon1284 wrote:
That rod should be perfect for se utah. I've fished that area in September a couple of times. Lots of fun with hoppers.

I have to move to Ohio in June. One thing I'm going to really miss about this place (one of the only things, honestly) is the fishing in southern Utah. Absolutely amazing scenery, willing fish and good species variety. For $75/year for a non-res license, it's a great investment in your leisure time.

Maybe you'll be close to the border with Pa. The fishing will have to be closer to you than it is now.

I'm on the Dayton, OH side, so I'm still pretty far out from the PA border about 3 hours), but it's definitely closer than some of the really good spots I drive to in Utah.

Back